Railing post spacing

Old 07-06-02, 08:24 PM
MeffaDawg
Visiting Guest
Railing post spacing

Is there a maximum spacing for railing posts that should not be exceeded? I'm talking about the typical 4x4's.

It makes sense that the closer they are the stronger and more stable the railing will turn out, but is there a "general rule of thumb" when spacing them out?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-07-02, 08:08 AM
Group Moderator
Received 39 Votes on 31 Posts
Sometimes it gets down to how it looks visually, but the type of railings could also come into play - the stronger and beefier the railing the fewer posts you might get by with. Also, how solidly the posts are attached. Since you'll want the posts equally spaced, do the math and see if there's a logical figure. For argument sake let's say the deck is 24' long. Your choices would be 12' o.c., 8' o.c., or 6' o.c. The 12' I would think would be too far, so the choice would be 6' or 8'. I'm usually inclined to over-engineer in a case like that, so I would probably go with the 6' o.c. Most people will never in the future say "I wish I hadn't designed it quite as strong", but lots of people end up saying "I wish I had made this a little stronger".

Good luck.

Old 07-07-02, 04:54 PM
MeffaDawg
Visiting Guest
I'm always one to over-engineer myself, better off stronger than weaker! Especially where safety is an issue, I say it's a no-brainer.

I was going to go with the posts that are notched out and attach from the outside of the deck. Someone mentioned an anchor called T-Locks, anyone ever heard of em? I had planned to used carriage bolts.

Old 07-07-02, 06:33 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Not familiar with the product mentioned - could be they meant t-nuts?

I'd use the carriage bolts myself, simply because I know they work and they're no problem to find.

Old 07-08-02, 10:55 AM
bdw7
Visiting Guest
Ditto on the carriage bolt comment, as for post spacing, using a notch as you mentioned, I have found that anything beyond about 7 foot spacing will probably have some wobble - check local building code - some areas dictate a maximum post spacing.

Cheers,
Brian

Old 07-08-02, 12:53 PM
MeffaDawg
Visiting Guest
I was actually thinking about spacing the posts somewhere around every 4' or so.

Old 07-09-02, 11:52 AM
bdw7
Visiting Guest
4 foot spacing will result in a very solid railing

Old 07-10-02, 11:50 AM
braggs
Visiting Guest
T-LOCKS

I'm not sure about t-locks, in tool and die the use t-nuts and t slot bolts, could be this or maybe they mean toggle bolts??