Old Fashioned Porch?

Old 07-08-02, 04:50 AM
christyvanderbi
Visiting Guest
Question Old Fashioned Porch?

We want to have built what I am being led to believe is an old fashioned porch. The concrete porch exists but we want to add railing/bannisters (no spindles) and handrails. On top of the railings on either side will be flat so that we can put flower pots on them. In fact there are two columns holding our porch up, that have bottoms on them, that resemble the flat pieces that I am talking about. There are no spindles, just straight wood. We have had bids ranging from $750 to $4,000 but none knew exactly what we wanted.

Neither of us are handymen types and I know nothing about woods etc but I know what I want. Our porch has only 2 steps leading down to the ground, but because of a physical handicap, I need handrails on both sides.

Can anyone tell me some terms, or how I can get plans, or pictures or whatever I need to do in orde to get my porch????

Sponsored Links
Old 07-08-02, 05:45 AM
bungalow jeff
Visiting Guest
I would suggest looking for examples in issues of Old House Journal, This Old House Magazine, or books on old house styles. There are several inexpensive books with several old house plans that will include samples of many porches to use for reference. Any contractor can build one, if you have a good image for them to base the work on.