Weather Proofer - which and how much?

Old 07-18-02, 06:51 PM
Gumpone2000
Visiting Guest
Weather Proofer - which and how much?

Can anyone give an estimate of how many gallons of weather proofer I will need for a fence 380' x 6' (both sides please) - so I guess I need to know how many sq ft a gallon will cover at a single coat? Also, the longest lasting / best U/V weather proofer.

Thanks in advance,
Gump

Old 07-19-02, 08:51 AM
rc101
Visiting Guest
Clear wood finishes generally last 3 to 5 years on vertical surfaces. Semi-trans and solid color stains will last longer: anywhere from 10 to 15 years. You should call the manufacturers directly to get specific coverage rates. A good place to start might be The Flood Company; a manufacturer of quality exterior wood products for over 50 years. 1800-321-3444.
www.floodco.com

Old 07-19-02, 12:16 PM
Gumpone2000
Visiting Guest
Thanks... did not realize their would be such an improvement in duration by going to the semi transparrent.

Old 07-19-02, 12:41 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Gumpone2000,

The reason colored stains will last longer is that the colored oxide particles in the stain are what inhibits(reflects) the effects of uv sunlight.

Other good produts are Cabots, Sikkens, and Wolmans F&P.

fred

Old 07-31-02, 04:21 PM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I just did my 240 ft x 6ft rough-cut cedar fence. Took 45 gallons of Olympic Semi-transparent. I sprayed most of it, but rolled and brushed close to the house. If I had rolled all of it, it would have taken many times longer, but used significantly less stain.

Aaron

Old 08-02-02, 02:01 AM
Gumpone2000
Visiting Guest
I had to start today (neighbor putting up a fence so I thought I was about to lose access to that portion of my fence) as it turns out he decided to just use my fence as one of his sides... (it would have been nice if he had run this by me first). I bet he thinks I used a tinted weatherproofer on the "shared" side just to spite him. Since he decided to use a side of my fence without even asking me I guess he'll just have to shell out for the same weatherproofer if he wants the other 3 sides of his fence to match mine.

Anyway, after covering roughly 1/8 th of the total area of my fence, I feel safe to say that I will require 40 Gallons. I am rolling / brushing the entire fence... I expect his will take about 24 hrs total... possibly longer when I start on the inside ("ugly side") of the fence. I've heard that good fences make good neighbors... I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: