deck over living space leaking

Old 07-19-02, 05:43 PM
Mark Brown
Visiting Guest
deck over living space leaking

I have a deck that is located over first floor living space of my home. (That is the deck forms the roof of the living space below. It is beginning to leak. The fraining and sheeting have rotted out. The origional work looks flawed and poorly designed. There is no insulation under the deck presently. I need to replace the deck and I have been unable find any information on how to properly complete this job.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-21-02, 10:16 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Roof repair under second story deck

Deck should be removed and repairs/replacement of roof over living area done.

http://www.askbuild.com/cgi-bin/column?200

http://www.handymanusa.com/articles/...uildadeck.html

Check with local building inspector regarding permits, plans, and inspections. Codes tend to dictate height of deck rails and spacing of balusters.

Old 07-22-02, 04:07 PM
Mark Brown
Visiting Guest
Thank you for the help. I think I was not too clear on my origional post and missed an important detail. The deck is the roof of the living space below. I believe that this is sometimes called a balcony. The roof and the deck are one in the same. The present deck is applied directly to the joists. It has a slight slope away from the structure to drain water. It is very similar to a flat roof but it gets a lot of foot trafic. Are membrane roofing materials suitable to walk on? Will they hold up to foot trafic, bar-b-q's and such?

I have seen this style of deck on other homes many times but I can't find any information on how it should be built. All of the information I can find on "decks" does not cover this style.

Old 07-23-02, 02:31 PM
PJinHawaii
Visiting Guest
I have the same problem!

Mark,

I'm glad you asked this question. I have the same basic problem. although in my case the "living area" is currently a carport, but I want to make it into a garage and hence I need to make the deck (currently typical 2X6 with gaps) into a "walk on roof" sort of deck.

Looks like not too many responses yet...

If you have found anything from other sources, I'd love to hear about it. you can reach me at pj905@hotmail.com

Thanks!
PJinHawaii

Old 07-23-02, 04:28 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Building codes

Check with local building inspector regarding codes, permits, and inspections before beginning project. Codes tend to vary from area to area and dictate construction requirements.

Old 07-24-02, 03:43 PM
BestDeckSite
Visiting Guest
I remember reading a good article on this subject a couple of months back in "The Journal of Light Construction" (JLC). I checked online and you can view the article for free. It's called "Building a Deck Over Living Space" and was published in May of 2002.

JLC On-Line:
www.jlconline.com

Link to article:
http://www.jlconline.com/cgi-bin/jlc.../View/0205buil

Greg.
www.bestdecksite.com

Last edited by BestDeckSite; 07-28-02 at 04:21 AM.