Building deck - rim joist question

Old 07-21-02, 07:28 AM
rozeltf
Visiting Guest
Building deck - rim joist question

I'm building (first) simple deck 10' (ledger along house) x 8' (2' off ground). I am using 2" x 8" PT for frame/joists, 16" OC. I plan on either 5/4 Mahogony or Cedar for decking. Do I cover the 3 rim joists with the same deck material (2" x 8") to hide the PT and then overlap the deck boards by an inch or so?
Thanks

Old 07-22-02, 07:56 AM
trailer_fan
Visiting Guest
typically what I have seen done is to use a fascia board....for example, on my redwood deck, I ran the decking material all the way to the edges of the rim joists. I used 2x8 joist material, so I bought 1x10 redwood boards. These, attached flush to the rim joists, should extend 1.5" above the joist to be flush with the surface of the deck (assuming you're using 2x decking), and it will extend 1/2" below the joist to hide it from sight. One other advantage of doing it this way is that from an overhead view, it looks like you have "framed" the decking and makes a very nice effect.

One thing to remember when applying fascia boards is that it looks infinitely neater and more professional to have mitered 45 degree cuts at the two exteriror corners, where the header meets the rim joists on each side.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: