decks

Old 07-21-02, 10:07 PM
transman2u
Visiting Guest
Question decks

i just built a deck this weekend and was wondering how long i should wait before i stain it thanks

Old 07-22-02, 03:32 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
transman2u,

I assume your deck is pressure treated lumber.
Give it about 10 days to air dry. After that, if it rains, give it another three sunny/ dry days.

I recommend applying a colored oil-base stain with water repellency ad UV protection.

fred

Old 07-24-02, 10:30 AM
rc101
Visiting Guest
The ideal time to stain new wood is one to three months after installation. Some new wood surfaces like smooth cedar, have a shiny surface called mill glaze that can prevent the maximum penetration of a stain.

If you suspect this is the case with your new deck, use a product to remove this mill glaze like Peneprep by the Flood Company.

Old 07-24-02, 10:43 AM
rc101
Visiting Guest
The ideal time to stain new wood is one to three months after installation. Some new wood surfaces like smooth cedar, have a shiny surface called mill glaze that can prevent the maximum penetration of a stain.

If you suspect this is the case with your new deck, use a product to remove this mill glaze like Peneprep by the Flood Company.

Old 07-24-02, 01:24 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Pressure treated pine will shrink and dry enough in about ten days. Three months is waiting much too long. Three months ov UV will just about require a cleaning.

The newer stains are formulated to be applied shortly after the construction.

fred

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: