Fastening systems

Old 07-23-02, 09:27 AM
george703
Visiting Guest
Fastening systems

Anyone have ideas on what systems are available for fastening decking that do not have exposed nail or screw heads? Any thoughts on advantages/disatvantages of these systems. As my deck is to be very low, I am particularly interested in those that are fastened from above. Thanks!

Old 07-25-02, 03:10 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Decking Fasteners

george703,

I guess my thoughts are if you are using a W/T, Cedar or Redwood decking material, expect board replacement to be a serious issue. Replacement would be a nightmare at best! If you use these products, which I have posted for you and there are others available, you can see the trouble you would have in replacing a board within the middle of a deck.

I would highly recommend a Mahogany or ipe wood that would last for 25 plus years easy so that you can enjoy the appearance and maintenance free future.

If cost is an issue, go with the traditional decking materials and use screws - NEVER NAILS. Replacement of any bad boards would be easy.

The costs of these are not bad and the end result is quite appealing.

http://www.deckfastener.com/

http://www.deckone.com/product.htm

Hope this guides you in the right direction.

Old 07-25-02, 03:17 PM
george703
Visiting Guest
Thanks

Those were just the kind of thing I was looking for. I was just going to use pt 2x6s, and I see your point about replacement boards. guess I would be better off with screws. Do boards frequently need replacing? Thanks again. george

Old 07-25-02, 03:42 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Deck Life

george703,

Pressure treat stock without using any preservatives is suppose to last minimum 30 years - NOTE: WARRANTY READS DECAY RESISTANT! When have you seen that to be the case?

If you were to apply a preservative every 2 years, the W/T deck should last about 15 to 20 years. The only reason I suggest this is that the sun raises problems with splitting. Your deck isn't rotting, it's just splitting or knots pop out due to changing seasons. A good product like Flood - CWF is excellent and it can come in stain/sealer combinations. Thompsons water sealer is not as good and you may have to apply 2 times within the 2 year span as others.

I do suggest that if cost was not a concern, Mahogany - Red species or the ipe wood products are great - each extremely hard woods. Doing some cost comparison might be in order. Check out your local Home Depot or major lumber yard for some clarification on what is on the market.

Your deck should look great!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: