Deck Floor Finish

Old 07-25-02, 06:25 AM
sarg
Visiting Guest
Deck Floor Finish

I just had a new screened in deck build and would like to hide the screw holds in the floor somehow. Is there a filler that I can use to fill in over the screw heads before I put down the finish on the deck floor? I want to counter sink to screws more that what they are now and fill in over the screw heads to hide them, but I have no ideal what type of filler to use. Anyone have any suggestions. Thanks in advance for your help...

Wayne

Old 07-25-02, 07:12 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hello Wayne,

Wow, you should have probably considered a deck board mounting system from beneath the joists. Everyone else has exposed nail or screw heads.

Woodworkers counterbore, then screw, then insert a short piece of dowel, or plugs, and cut flush. Usually, any fiinish will not match exactly.
And fillers will shrink too much and also not accept stain readily.
And they are prone to popping out of the hole.
If you have a roof over the deck, you might consider counterboring and plugging. But matching stain will be problem.

fred

Old 07-25-02, 05:33 PM
sarg
Visiting Guest
Deck Floor Finish

Thanks Fred,
I do have a roof over the deck. Would you advise putting a coating of poly once the floor is stained and the screw holds filled?Anyway, thanks for your help...

Wayne

Old 07-25-02, 06:33 PM
Hi Wayne,

Poly is a sticky subject with me. I have discontinued using poly,
whether regular or marine spar, for anything exposed to the elements. Many years ago I once owned a wooden boat which needed constant refinishing, ughh. I have tried marine spar urethane on some outdoor projects with little success.
If your deck has sun(UV) exposure or subject to blown in rain, I would recommend against any poly. Peeling poly is difficult to remove.

fred

Old 07-25-02, 07:04 PM
Deck Finish

sarg,

Not knowing what you used for deck material, I will assume that it is not of higher quality. It is a question of "What if the decking splits or shows defects later?" Getting to replace the board(s) that are bad will make it difficult to remove. If screws were used and decking material is of higher quality, hide the screws with a colored epoxy similar to your deck. Some wood putty's and fillers may not adhere well if we are looking a severe climate changes.

If you plan on staying here a long time, hiding the screws may not be a good idea. You are the judge of the conditions surround the screen porch and how the climate may efect your investment.

I agree with fewalt that polyureathanes are subject to routine maintenenace and at times can be extremely difficult to maintain a clean appearance.

I would only recommend hidden decking fasteners if better decking material is used. Repairs if needed can be a nightmare.

Good Luck!

Old 07-26-02, 06:58 AM
sarg
Visiting Guest
Deck Finish

Thanks Doug & Fewalt,
You are right, it would be a nightmare if I had to replace or repair the floor with the screws covered. The flooring is #1 grade pressure treated pine.
again thanks to both of you for you help.

Wayne

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: