dyeing fabric

Old 08-04-02, 11:30 AM
krisfalusifalu
Visiting Guest
Question dyeing fabric

Can anyone help me? I an trying to dye a sheer fabric a deep red color and I have no idea how to achieve this. I tried using the rit color in the washing machine, following the instructions, and it came out a pale pink, almost like it keeps washing out. I even tried adding more dye, only to end up with the same result. Does anyone know of a better dye or something???? I'd appreciate the help or advice. Thanks, Kristin

Sponsored Links
Old 08-04-02, 12:23 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Kristen,

What type fabric are you trying to dye? Some synthetics won't hold the dyes.

Kay

Old 08-04-02, 01:07 PM
krisfalusifalu
Visiting Guest
in response to Kay

I purchased the fabric as a flat fold, so I'm not positive, but is a sheer drapery material with a bit of a shine to it. Is that synthetic? As you can tell, I'm clueless when it comes to fabric. I'm just starting to sew and I thought it was a pretty "draping" fabric.

Old 08-04-02, 01:24 PM
Since its shiny, it may be a synthetic. I'm going to talk to Patricia (aka Twelvepole) and see what she thinks. Either she or I will post back.

Kay

Old 08-04-02, 01:34 PM
krisfalusifalu
Visiting Guest
in response to kay

Thank you!

Old 08-04-02, 02:00 PM
I am a novice sewer, too. I've made some window coverings, but not anything fancy.

I haven't had much luck dying anything other than 100% cotton, but do know that where there is a will, there is a way... or someone will point out why its impossible .

Kay

Old 08-04-02, 02:04 PM
According to Patricia (she just PM'd me), all fabrics cannot be dyed. Especially synthetics. I am still under the assumption that it is synthetic since I haven't seen anything of a natural fiber (except for silks) that aren't synthetic.

I guess with it turning pink instead of red, it may be a synthetic/cotton blend and only the cotton could hold the color and not enough of it.

Sorry, maybe you could wash the rest of the color out and use it somewhere else?

Kay

Old 08-04-02, 03:01 PM
krisfalusifalu
Visiting Guest
Smile to kay

Thanks for the encouragement, Kay. I only used half of a yard of it to test, so I didn't waste much if it does turn out to be wasted. I can always use sheer fabric. I'm going to keep trying to get it red somehow. I'll let you know how it turns out. You describes my attitude exactly in saying "where there's a will". I was really excited about this project because I was using it for a canapy drapery for my bed, which I've always wanted but could never really afford, so we'll see! Kristin

Old 08-04-02, 03:40 PM
T
Just dying to dye

Get the scoop on dyeing:

http://www.ritdye.com/a.asp#select