A Colourful Dilemna

Old 08-05-02, 07:18 PM
laura_tolhoek
Visiting Guest
A Colourful Dilemna

I have the opportunity to decorate and put some style into a two bedroom basement apartment that my boyfriend is moving into.

My first project is his bedroom. Right now it is an awful light aqua green (sponge paint) colour. I would like it to be somewhat trendy, but still peaceful and relaxing. It must be masculine.

The carpets are a beige colour and very neutral. Because it is a basement bedroom it has one small window, there for the colour has to be something that will not make the room too dark. All his furniture is different degrees of honey tones. ANY suggestions would be helpful! Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 08-05-02, 07:42 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Sometimes painting the walls a dark color, and having light colored furniture will make the room not appear so small. Maybe painting a deeper green (gray greens) and using burgandy and golds as accent colors. This may make the room warm, but not suffocating. Lots of lamp lighting would add to the warmth of the room without 'flooding' it with light.

Kay

Ps. Sounds like the walls are the color I painted my bathroom. Looked good on the paint chip, but a very unappealing on the walls. Can't wait to redo it.

K

Old 08-06-02, 09:32 PM
daisyshook
Visiting Guest
There's a rule of decorating that we used in a design store I worked for. Put dark furniture with light walls and vice versa. Using a mahogany wood would look great with light green walls. Also, mahogany is a very masculine wood. You may be able to stain the furniture he already has if you don't want to buy new furniture. There are a variety of gel stains out now that involve no preparation. You just wipe it on over the wood and it already has the polyurethane in it. Changing the floors may also help. Wooden floors always add a touch of masculinity to a room if you're lucky enough to have them. Also, having richer floors would be a nice contrast to the walls. If you don't have wooden floors already you can buy faux wood panels (linoleum) in a variety of stains. Check to see what's under that carpet! Good luck!!!

Old 08-08-02, 07:07 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Color dilemma

Light colored walls will showcase furniture. All the places in which I have moved have had neutral colored walls, usually some hue of white or off white. Depending upon the the colors with which I am working at the time, I pick one that is dominate for each room. Pick at least three colors which compliment each other on which you both agree and make one of the three the dominate color in each room and accessorize with the other two. That way you will have an easy decorating scheme. Changing the color of the paint for your background is a whole lot easier than changing furniture finishes. Also, changing colors of accessories, fabrics, curtains, bedspreads, upholstery, and other items is also less expensive in order to pull a scheme together.