too creamed

Old 08-22-02, 08:07 PM
dfavre
Visiting Guest
Unhappy too creamed

ok, I have a taupe/eggshell couch., cream entertainment center, and wrought iron table lamps. I thought I would do this black/cream thing, with old italian/spanish picture thing, but it still looks pretty plain. I would love to intorduce color (Im a big trading spaces fan) but I have some reservations. Any sugggestions?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-22-02, 08:29 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
You may be able to go with a rich deep color on your walls.

I like trading spaces, too. I'm a little afraid of some of the colors that they use. I also watch HGTV on a regular basis, too. They have a lot of good ideas, some rather expensive, but some inexpensive as well.

I've heard that a good rule of thumb is to have dark walls/light furniture or light walls/dark furniture.

It seems that I've seen a lot of green wall coloring lately on these shows. Must be the color of the season. Not a holly green, but more olive toned (gray based). This would accentuate the cream colors and the black accents. Other colors that seem to be used a lot are: deep browns (yellow based - which avoids the pinkish tones in it), reds (blue based to avoid the pinkish colors) and yellows.

Kay

Old 09-03-02, 10:35 AM
kva
Visiting Guest
creamed

Hi! Good idea anytime you're wondering what's a good color for your house is to look in your closet... what color is your favorite sweater or dress??? What do you wear the most of??
I wouldn't worry too much about what colors are "in" or "out" at the moment - you have to spend too much time in your rooms to choose a color just because it's fashionable now... pick something you LOVE - and you're fortunate in that with the creams and black you can use literally anything - from a bright spring green to a deep plum or anything in between. If your're not sure about something, try to find a large scrap of fabric in the shade you want and drape it over the couch or a window for a week or so to see if you can live with it...if you're still not sure paint just one wall... if you're still not sure then pick something different...
Good luck. kva

Old 09-05-02, 11:03 PM
Melmcbth
Visiting Guest
Definitely agree with KVA, want to try to live with new colors and stay in budget? Try towels, they are relatively inexpensive, come in many beautiful colors and have useful purpose beyond color determination. Most are long enough to drape over a curtain rod and give you a feel for the color. Live with it for a least a few days, prferably a week as that will also get you through a weekend and the color changes morning light brings on. Of course I am making the assumption that you work, and during the day at that.. of course you know what they say about whenever you assume something.....
good luck and remember, it wasn't your spouse (or kids, or dog) that hit your thumb with the hammer!
mel