veneer entertainment center

Old 10-07-02, 05:01 PM
kkoski
Visiting Guest

I want to make a cheap veneer entertainment center look less cheap. Any inexpensive ideas?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-07-02, 07:01 PM
pmgca
Visiting Guest

Sure. Tell us more about it and about your ideas, and we'll help you

Regards,

Old 11-01-02, 12:21 PM
kjbcrev99
Visiting Guest
veneer

I've never tried this-- but I think it might work. Try it on an inconspicuous area first.

I would paint it somehow... Crackle finish with an antique glaze or paint it with a flat paint and antique it to age the painting (make it look older).

You would need to rough up the surface in order to make the primer stick. Get a high # grit sandpaper or something to gently scuff the surface (you don't want to scratch it). Primer it, paint it. They sell crackle kits at HD that are pretty inexpensive. Stencils on the front doors or sides might add a bit of interest (try a hobby store)

Old 11-02-02, 10:47 AM
TheUglyMug
Visiting Guest
Entertainment center

Im not sure which areas you would like to cover up so I don't know if this will help you or not. Have you ever seen the wall paper that is textrued that you paint over? They have several really neat looking patterns including some that look like the old tin ceilings. If you have doors on your entertainment center that need finishing you could use this wallpaper and paint it with one of the metallic paints, (copper, silver, etc.) to give it and antique say, copper doored cabinet look. Do check first to see what the best method of applying the paper is. I would think you need to sand or rough it up some to get glue to really adhere. Another option would be to sand and paint, possibly with some type of pickeling or antique finish and then purchase some decorative trim or corner squares (at any home depot or menards) and add this as accents. Also check out a stamping store. They usually have some really fun stamps that you can use as well as some interesting paper decorating techniques that you can decoupage on to your unit. Good luck and have fun!