decorating question

Old 01-08-03, 11:04 AM
BackSplitRich
Visiting Guest
decorating question

We recently just purchased our first house, and are thrilled with it. Problem is, our family room looks to be very difficult to do anything with. If anyone can help or give some ideas with what we can do in this room..would be appreciated.
Room is 12x20. One 12 foot wall (east) has fireplace with wall to wall hearth and mantle. South 20 foot wall is open to the kitchen 4 stairs up. Has a half wall with stairs beside it, with a railing around the open part. Same wall has door to the basement, and door to a washroom. Next 12foot wall..(west side) has door going to laundry room. North 20 foot wall has window on the left, and sliding door on the right. Any one can help?
Oh yeah...ceilings are low too....87"

Sponsored Links
Old 01-08-03, 01:08 PM
pmgca
Visiting Guest
decorating question

Hi,

Yes, I can help.

What style are you looking for? Can you send a photograph?

Old 01-08-03, 06:47 PM
BackSplitRich
Visiting Guest
looking for something dramatic...yet cosy...modern...simple...uncluttered.
floor plan picture?

Old 01-08-03, 07:11 PM
pmgca
Visiting Guest
decorating question

Hi,

Ok, a floorplan picture will help.

Regards,

Old 01-09-03, 02:22 PM
BackSplitRich
Visiting Guest
How can I get a pic to you?

Old 01-09-03, 02:48 PM
pmgca
Visiting Guest
Decorating

Send it to [email protected]

Old 01-10-03, 05:57 AM
BackSplitRich
Visiting Guest
Did you get my pics?

Old 01-10-03, 06:48 AM
pmgca
Visiting Guest
Decorating

Hi,

Yes, I received your photograph. I understand your problem now.

My suggestions:
Try to create a focus in the room, and go from there. Perhaps the fireplace. I can't see the materials in the photograph, but some wood around the fireplace is a start. Or perhaps a texture.

Work with the open space of the half wall. If you used wood around the fireplace, use wood to create a net with opened / closed spaces. Take advantage of this "holes" for books photographs, etc.

Light: use light resources to create dramatic effects and cozy corners. More light points with less intensity

Colors: use clear colors. Paint the ceiling in a cream color and the walls in a clear tan color. This will help with the low ceiling

Try to get two or three 3D images with different possibilities before you start. This will save lots of money.

Hope this helps,

Old 01-10-03, 09:35 AM
BackSplitRich
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the insight.

One more question, my wife really likes the look of colour washed walls....and in red will using this dramatic colour on the wall, visually bring down the ceiling? will it make the room seem smaller? even if we just painted the fireplace wall this scheme?

Thanks again for your help.

Old 01-10-03, 10:15 AM
pmgca
Visiting Guest
Decorating

Hi,

All the wall???...probably yes. Depending of other walls and ceiling, combinations, etc.

As I told you, dramatic effects need a 3D visualization to be sure about how the room will look as. If you can't afford 3D images, take the photograph you sent me, buy some gel pens in the right colors, and play with the combinations. But be sure about the colors: it will be a hard work to change the color of a red wall

Let me know if you need more help.
Good luck!!