Big Red

Old 01-21-03, 10:35 AM
mswift
Visiting Guest
Big Red

We have taken the wallpaper off in our living room/entry way in our bi-level home, and are planning on painting. We have 'blood/cranberry/deep/dark' red carpet in the room that is still in good shape. This carpet covers the stairs as well as going back the hallway. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what color to paint the walls. What about furniture colors and window dressings?

Thanks,
Mike

Sponsored Links
Old 01-22-03, 07:32 AM
pmgca
Visiting Guest
Big Red

Hi,

There are some strong colors, I call them of "chief colors", because all other colors will be subordinated to the chief. Red is one of these colors.

You need to choose between cream and tan (for painting and window covers).

Consider visualize all the room in 3D before start the work, with furniture, curtains, etc.: red is a very strong color.

Hope this helps

Old 01-30-03, 05:42 PM
noni
Visiting Guest
Mike, I like your carpet, one of 'my' colors. I think the walls would be complimentary if you painted in a 'chamoise' or 'chammy' color. This color is, in my humble opinion, a beautiful neutral, with some color. Get some paint chips and test. With these two 'elegant' colors, I would only use carpet color as accents (pillows on sofa, etc.) Black also looks good with these colors, and some beiges. Keep your drapes in creams for lightness instead of stark white. Tone on tone fabrics in upholstery. I prefer rich woods, like mahogany, with these colors.
Anyway, happy decorating!

Old 01-30-03, 06:05 PM
Phxmom
Visiting Guest
Hello,

I'm siding with pmgca on this one. This is a major color covering a major area. If you leave the wall a true white, there is a good chance the color of the carpet will be reflected. I like the idea of a light tan. This adds character and a "littl-out-of-the-norm" feeling. I would also spread the cranberry color around and make the carpet choice look intentional. Bring shades of the carpet up on the wall in window coverings. It doesn't have to be the predominant color in your fabric choice but, it should be definitely in there. I would keep sofas neutral. If a casual look is the goal, try a nice chenille. Once again, throw pillows can have tones of the carpet in them. If you spread the color around some, you can avoid the large-planes-lots-of -solids feeling.