A Challenge

Old 02-09-03, 09:29 PM
msmiz
Visiting Guest
A Challenge

I have wall to wall window in my living room. I am renting. The windows are large and are side by side they total 18 1/2 feet in length all along one wall., with just a 3-4" metal strip in-between them. They are each 56 inches high. The have white venitian blinds now that came with the apt. You must have that color facing outside.

The walls are white (can't paint) the blinds are white. I have white furniture but have accented with blue. I do not want to put drapes up. Changing the blinds (their size) too costly. I have an area above the windows that extends out about 8" from the top of thw windows, and runs the length of the windows. It has a area of about 9" in width. I was trying to think of what I could put along there at the top to introduce my accent color of blue or what I could add to the windows and help to get away with the vastness of white with out a major cost factor or having to actually hang drapes. I thought something that would be different, unique may be that I could mount along the 9" area , a decorative I thought or maybe another suggestions. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 02-09-03, 09:48 PM
pmgca
Visiting Guest
Idea

Hi,

IMO, you need not only an accent but also "cut" the white on white.

I am thinking in two options:
- Hang a shelf (wall to wall) to put some colorful (especially blue) objects or plants. This will work as a frame for the window, and a shelf you can use in other apartment / house, if you want.
- Hang wind bells and / or craft tapestries.

In decoration, we call this "create a focus" in the wall.

Hope this helps,

Old 02-12-03, 06:42 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The shelf would be a great idea! 18 1/2 feet is quite a span. A friend and I were just talking about what to do over large doors and windows. He told me about a show he saw where they used foam board because it is cheap and light-weight and easy to work with. They made a cornice board by gluing the cut pieces together with ordinary white glue. They covered it with batting and a nice fabric. Which gave them a lightweight focal point for a sliding glass door. He also said they put lightweight display objects on top of another shelf/board that they had covered using contact paper. They secured them to the wall toenailing finish nails into the foam board to the walls. Just another option to consider?! Wish I had seen that show!
Sandie