decorating delema

Old 02-25-03, 03:19 PM
begunGrunt
Visiting Guest
Angry decorating delema

my sister recently moved out so of course i took over her larger room. There a pale pink carpet in the room and me being a punk rocker am not pleased with this.

so i have tried to ignore the carpet and i have painted the walls an eggplant type purple with an occasional lime green swirl here and there. its been 3 months now and this is totally not working.
im tired of the paint colors and the carpet isnt helping obviously.

im only 15 and my parents refuse to rid of the carpet because its new.

any ideas of colors or faux finishes i could do on the walls to draw attention away from the carpet?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-25-03, 09:11 PM
pmgca
Visiting Guest
decorating

Hi,

You have several options, depending of your style.

- A deep blue will work fine. You can combine with a border mixing blues and deep rose- purple

- A faux finish with peach colors and salmon colors will create a romantic room

- Wood panels with fabric in your style. You can pin photograps, papers, etc.

Hope this helps

Old 02-26-03, 07:38 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Have you considered buying a canvas drop cloth to cover the floor and painting it yourself? You can get them fairly cheap (around here Big Lots sells the big ones for $12.99) and you can paint them or leave them as a blank canvas to let your walls be the focus. Splatter your wall colors on them or paint a theme if you are artistically inclined. Remember, use colors that you really love and you can't go wrong. The canvas drop cloth might be easy to talk your parents into, especially when you explain that you don't want to ruin the practically new carpet! Just make sure you let it dry completely before you put it in place and walk on it!!

For the walls, consider using wood panels and paint geometrics or something on them, then lean them up against the wall. Don't forget that you can pick up items like wrought iron and use them as art for the walls too (make sure they are securely fastened!).

Good Luck and let us know how it goes

Sandie

Old 03-01-03, 07:12 AM
begunGrunt
Visiting Guest
thanks everyone! I thought of an idea that might work and im going to draw it out and propose it to my parents.

im going to paint a drop cloth black and use that to put over the pink ::cringes:: carpet.
then im going to make wood panels about 2 feet wide and im going to cover tham with fabric and pad them. every other will be red and the other im doing the awesome technique that ive been doing in one of my art classes where u take newspaper and cover a surfacewith it using wall paper paste.

my dad also refuses to paint ceilings any color but white. im going to try to convince him on a light gray to match the newspaper.

thank so much for ur help. let me know what u think about this idea please.

Old 03-01-03, 02:06 PM
Hey,

That sounds really great! I love the newspaper/panel idea! The drawing it out and presenting it as a proposal sounds perfect!!

I hope you don't have a hard time talking with your parents about the idea of the black drop cloth. You don't want to alienate (?sp) their sense of design or scare them into thinking that you are being too radical. Maybe if you proposed a grey drop cloth with black and red accents to match the panels, and a black border, then the light grey ceiling would be easier for them to consider? Would you be repainting the walls the same grey as the ceiling?

Also, remember to have paint chips on hand or some other piece that would represent the color you see for the ceiling. I just looked down at the USB cord for our camera, it is grey, and that would not be hard to repaint white. If they don't budge on the ceiling, find a buddy that has contacts in the auto detail business and look into some headliner fabric to pin up (sewing pins that look sortof like a "T" would be perfect) to the ceiling. Headliner fabric is lightweight, easy to work with, cheap if you have the contacts, and comes in a great dove grey color.

All in all, it sounds like you have come up with a great plan for your room (pink carpet and all!! LOL)! Let us know how things go with your parents and how the finished room turns out!!

Sandie

Old 03-02-03, 11:51 AM
begunGrunt
Visiting Guest
hey all i showed my parents my idea and since they paid for me to paint my room the color it is now just a few months ago i have to pay for the new decorating... which is fine with me, i understand.

they dont have a problem with the black because be4 i moved into this room my old room was painted black and it had a deep maroon/black carpet.

they've grown use to my gothic style. practically everything i have is black so they understand me and my fashion/decorating sense.

thanks for all your help

Old 03-03-03, 07:10 PM
Fantastic!

I'm glad you all could work something out. Your ideas sound great and I hope you are happy with the results. Being a country girl in rural GA, I was concerned that your parents might not take to the idea of so much black in a room that you spend a great deal of time in. You are blessed that they understand you and your style. Kinda makes me wish mine had been a little more understanding, and maybe I could've been more creative (i'm way too practical!).

Have fun during your project and enjoy the end result!

Sandie

p.s. I hope you get a great joy when you are finally able to kiss that pink carpet goodbye!