Help me out with the design!

Old 03-03-03, 03:28 AM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Help me out with the design!

Iím not sure if this is the right place for asking such question, but most probably it is.

Our problem is the following: - We have a living room and I tend to agree that it is a bit small for fitting certain furniture and sofas. It measures approx 12 X 10 feet. We are still designing the whole setup and thatís why I am seeking your help. The room is small and certain attention is required in order to obtain the maximum possible space. The room is still empty and so everything is more or less possible, however we strongly would like to include a small fireplace (gas fuel not a real one mind you).

Just to put you in the picture the whole structure is as indicated below:
The two 12 feet walls are completely availableÖ no doors or windows.
One of the 10feet walls is the main entrance and has a door to the outside of approx 4-5 feet (yeah I know it is quite big).
The other 10feet wall has a opening of approx 4-5 feet that leads to the staircase.

The openings are facing each other.

Can anyone suggest or recommend any setup or tips for such room? As I have already mentioned we would like to include a small fireplace (4 X 1.5 feet approx) to one of 12 feet walls and a three-seater sofa. The problem is that putting sofas might be a bit tricky when considering space limits! The sofa does not need to be a three-seater... we just want to have 3 seats available.

For those ready to help I am also ready to supply you with a sketch of the room.

Thanks in advance.

RA

Sponsored Links
Old 03-03-03, 07:37 AM
pmgca
Visiting Guest
help

Hi,

you can send me a sketch of the room ([email protected])

In the meantime, you can read my article "designing small spaces" .
You will find this article at
http://www.punchhelpers.com/page3.html

I'll wait your information

Old 03-05-03, 03:14 PM
pmgca
Visiting Guest
Design

Hi RA,

Sorry for the delay.

I received your sketch.

The wall you pointed for the fireplace installation is between two doors. It means that is a corridor, and your fireplace will be lost there. People are going to walk between the fireplace and the sofa.

My suggestion to take advantage of the space is: choose a corner and create a fireplace corner, with books, music, etc. This corner will be your room's focus.
Wrap that corner with a sofa and an armchair perhaps. Some occasional tables (small!!!) and lamps will help.
Your room will be not small, will be cozy.

Hope this helps

Last edited by pmgca; 03-06-03 at 01:57 PM.
Old 03-05-03, 11:46 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Patricia,

What do you suggest in place of the fireplace? I don't wish leaving the whole wall empty. As you can see bulk furtniture does not fit because this would be of an obstacle.

I was also thinking of placing a TV in the 3 X 1.5 feet area just near the window. Does the sofa necessarry need to be facing the TV set? Do you recommend a TV in such a small room first of all.

Thanks
Regards
ROBERT

Old 03-06-03, 02:11 PM
pmgca
Visiting Guest
Design

Robert,

You're right, furniture will not fit in that wall. The answer is: think in 3D, don't look at the plan, look at the wall.
Work with that wall to get deep. Perhaps some mirrors?

Yes, usually is better a sofa facing the TV. You will not like to turn the sofa everyday

Try to visualize the options in 3D. In a small space, a mistake means a big problem.

Good luck!