Old Wood Paneling

Old 04-18-03, 09:29 PM
JustMom
Visiting Guest
Question Old Wood Paneling

I have just recently moved into an upper suite. The entire living room has wood paneling. The previous residents have wreaked havoc on these walls and they are in desperate need of repair. Well can't say that exactly since the top coat is peeling off, nail holes everywhere and an occassional hole here and there. So how to fix this I guess is the question. I have seen the paint and ragging ideas and just a simple paint over but I find with the grooves its unappealing. Anyone have any ideas as to what to do with paneling in the living room? The front window lets in alot of light but I guess you could say that the is about half and half in the room itself.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-18-03, 11:10 PM
pmgca
Visiting Guest
Living room

Hi,

I guess that your best solution is textured stucco. The advantage of a texture is that you żou can apply it after small repairs in the walls, and it will cover the grooves.

Other interesting option is a faux finish, witha sponge or even paper.

Of course, you will need to cover the paneling first

At Home Depot or at Rona you will find lots of resources for a DIY proyect with textures

Good luck!

Old 04-19-03, 12:13 AM
JustMom
Visiting Guest
Thanks

Thanks for such a prompt reply. Will consider your ideas. We have a Home Hardware in the area but that is about all we have at this time. But they may have something available. Thanks again.

Old 04-20-03, 10:49 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
You could also put up a wallpaper liner to get rid of the grooves but then you have to put up more wallpaper or use fabric like wallpaper. There are several step by step instructions on this at the HGTV website. You could texture the bottom portion to look like beadboard and paint it white, then use the paper liner on the upper portion if you don't texture. Just remember, prep is 90% of the finished job so no matter which technique you use, (and I like the textured stucco idea myself) you will have a lot of work to do before you get to the finished room! Good Luck!!

Old 04-20-03, 11:34 AM
JustMom
Visiting Guest
wallpaper

The wallpaper idea was used in the kitchen and hallway. Unfortunately it is peeling in there as well LMAO I have a ton of work to do with this place but I figured I would start with the living room since it is a family room and well as the area to entertain guests. I was thinking of the stucco idea and then I recall seeing something that was a light textured paint. It wasnt too rough and looked nice. Alot of ideas are running through my head with the two posts I have at present. Thanks for all your help.

Old 04-21-03, 01:27 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Further proof that "no prep = no last"!!! Here is a link to where I searched on painting paneling. Lots of instructional links, good for reference and shows that it can be easier than it sounds. (Sure I can say that...it's not my project!!!LOL)

http://web.hgtv.com/hgtv/web/searchR...6&GoSearch.y=8

Let us know how it goes!

Sandie

Old 04-21-03, 06:16 PM
JustMom
Visiting Guest
not to worry about prep work

It's not the prep work I am concerned with really as it is the time consuming effort that has to be placed forthwith. As for the deglosser I am not to worried about that LOL its's already peeling off the walls as it is. All you have to do is wash the walls and comes off like regular dirt !!!!

Intresting site have added to my favorites. Thank you!

Old 05-02-03, 07:33 PM
noni
Visiting Guest
Just an idea

Was the paneling originally glossy? Maybe why paint doesn't stick too.
Have you considered texturizing the walls with joint compound? You can buy a small inexpensive pail at local hardware.
Use on sample boards to find the finish and texture you like, they are endless! Trowl on compound, swirl it around, etc. Get different effects using brushes, etc. Compound will dry like concrete.....make sure it is totally dry before priming/painting. It's fun to play with....try it by diluting with small amount of water too. Good luck, have similar problem with tongue/groove pine paneling. I plan to tackle it one day. I have used the above technic in a small bathroom. Have had many compliments.

Old 05-03-03, 01:15 AM
JustMom
Visiting Guest
I can assume LOL

At one time I would have thought yes glossy, but it has been peeling off all over the place. Some of the paneling ie: hallway bedroom and kitchen (bedroom) was painted and looks aweful (hallway) wallpapered, painted and peeling. I am not sure when it was done but it does look aweful. I have thought of the texturing ideas but never thought of the compound you mentioned but it does go with the thoughts I had in mind for the livingroom.

Thanks for your ideas!