My old house

Old 05-12-03, 06:10 PM
sharonlacouture
Visiting Guest
Lightbulb My old house

Hi! I am new to this forum. I own an old Cape Cod house. It was built in 1850. The ceilings are 10 feet in liv/din/pantry/foyer. Rich mahogany woodwork, stairs, mop board, newel post, trim and door jambs. The windows are all 64" long and either 23" or 33" wide. Right now we have a "fleur" patterned wall paper in liv and din rooms. We would like to paint over the paper, I'm not yet convinced that is the way to go....[?] and I am imagining a rich 'royal' color, like blue, cranberry or gold on the walls. New window treatments will follow...what I'd like to find are websites that show 'real' cape cod decorating styles or an early american style. Can anyone suggest anything? Thanks, Sharon

Old 05-12-03, 07:20 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
It is best to remove wallpaper before painting.

Old 05-13-03, 07:11 AM
pmgca
Visiting Guest
Hi, and welcome to the Forums

About painting over wallpaper, our wallpaper's moderator has an interesting article and a good explanation on how to do this. You will find it at

http://forum.doityourself.com/showth...eadid=116896#3

About the colors, perhaps you can try a faux finish on the burgundy colors or the deep red colors.

Other good idea may be a textured paint, on the terracotta colors

Let us know if you need more help!

Regards

Patricia

Old 06-02-03, 04:40 PM
neetnut
Visiting Guest
careful when removing old wall paper. we have recently purchased an old cape cod style home, with lots of wood trim in living room and dinning room. the living room had wallpaper on it from the early 60's, when we tried to remove the wallpaper, the plaster from the actual wall was coming off with the wallpaper. so i recently posted a help question on here myself.
my color scheme for the living room is a cranberry/burgundy for the bottom portion of wall and a creamy/natural for the upper half. the burgundy really helps to bring out the color in the wood trim and base boards.
good luck!

Old 06-15-03, 12:29 AM
jessierose
Visiting Guest
Greens are also wonderful for bringing out the color and richness of woods, especially if the woods have a yellow or red hue to them.

I've never had to deal with such and old house! Have you tried to look up the history of the house, previous owners? Any pictures that you can base your designs off of?

Something Rich and Contemporary at the same time is the color PLUM or EGGPLANT both very deep and rich purples that are becoming a VERY popular choice for interior decorating.

NEVER paint over wallpaper. Water, hot iron and a washcloth can remove most any wallpaper. Plaster is a messy material, but it can be patched. Becareful about any lead-based paints that might still be looming about in the house! Always wear a mask!

Your home sounds beautiful, I hope everything works out for you! Another note: If you want the ceilings to appear lower, paint them a darker color than the walls, about 2 shades darker.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: