Red Couches! What do I do with the walls?

Old 08-14-03, 07:17 PM
barbie221
Visiting Guest
Lightbulb Red Couches! What do I do with the walls?

I have a formal living/dining room that is also the entrance to my home. The couches are red base with big pillows with flowers on them with predominantly beige background with gold,red,sage flowers. There are also accent pillows that are plaid with the same colors. I'd love to use gold on the walls, but I'm not sure if it would work with the other room that is attached. You can see this formal room from my family room so I have to take into account the colors from that room. The family room has antique white walls with a sage accent wall. What is the rule of thumb, if any, regarding painting with 3 or more colors? Help!

Sponsored Links
Old 08-15-03, 08:37 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
First of all, please stop thinking that there are any "rules" when it comes to decorating!!! these days, anything goes and whatever you like is OK! but if it will make you happy, you've basically got yourself a "triad" color scheme going there (red-yellow-green) so you can rest assured you're doing things "right"!

now then, it sounds like you're not afraid of color, so GO FOR IT! the gold walls will blend nicely with the antique white walls (which aren't really a "color" at all), and you've only got the one sage accent wall so i don't think there will be a problem. your sofas sound really pretty & they're probably the focal point of the room. if you're afraid of having too many colors in different rooms, just try to tie them all together using accent pieces in the various colors in all the rooms. for example, make sure there's something red in your family room to tie it to the red sofas in the living room. you've already got sage in both rooms, and the gold & antique white are pretty much the same color (family), so i think it will all blend and coordinate very nicely! and those red sofas & pillows will be stunning against the gold walls!

and, by the way, i've recently painted my great room walls gold and i absolutely LOVE it! (and so does everyone else who's seen them!) they used to be plain off-white. now they are so warm & colorful & the woodwork really stands out & seems so much richer.

i hope you'll write back & let us know how it turns out! Good luck!