Color suggestion for exercise room

Old 11-17-03, 07:42 AM
metadog
Visiting Guest
Color suggestion for exercise room

Hi! I am having my basement finished and I am soon going to have a 14x19 exercise room. I am trying to pick a color for the room that is motivational and will help set the mood for pumping iron or doing my cardio. The carpet will probably be an industrial grade light beige or oyster... very neutral. Can you help me pick a good color for this room?

Thanks!
-Mike

Sponsored Links
Old 11-17-03, 10:29 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wow! an exercise room! i'm so jealous!

okay........going to need a little more info: are there any windows? mirrors? any other furniture? what are your favorite colors? do you like dark rooms or light airy rooms? do you want a high-tech modern look? what's your favorite sports team?

please post back with some more details. i'd love to help you but i need something to work with!!!

one tip: if possible, try to hold off on committing to a carpet color til you've decided on paint! you don't want a "beige-y" carpet, and then later wish you'd chosen a "gray" tone! there's no such thing as "neutral"!!!

Old 11-17-03, 11:28 AM
metadog
Visiting Guest
--are there any windows?
Yes, one of those tiny useless basement windows. And it sits right under my deck! I get some light through there, but not a great deal.

--mirrors?
Not yet. I hope to cover one wall with a floor to ceiling full width exercise room mirror some day... after I recover from the expense of finishing my basement.

--any other furniture?
At the moment, only the exercise equipment and an old entertainment center. I have accumulated the pieces over the last 16 years. A hodge podge of various manufacturers. The colors are grey, black and white. I plan to dump the stuff and get one big machine that does it all... but that will probably be when I can afford mirrors. I plan to mount my TV to a corner, off the floor. Or get a small corner stand for the TV and DVD player. The big entertainment is going in the paper... or a dumpster.

--What are your favorite colors?
I am in advertising, so I wear a lot of black... but I tend to lean toward bold blues and greens.... but I have been looking at a nice burgundy for my dining room. Red bothers me as a clothing item, but I can see it as a wall color.

--do you like dark rooms or light airy rooms?
This one is hard. Typically I like my rooms dark. My office is lit by a small table lamp and my computer monitor. But I think an exercise room should be bright, powerful and energized.

--do you want a high-tech modern look?
Absolutely! This is the only room in the house I get complete control over.

--what's your favorite sports team?
I’m not a big sports guy, so that is a hard one for me. I am thinking that I would have to go with the Baltimore Ravens since I am a home team guy. My sports were martial arts, bodybuilding, power lifting and skiing.

As for the carpet….
The weight room will be accessed through double doors off of our new family room area. My wife wants the same carpet in the family room as is in the up stairs levels. I just want to make sure that the carpet that I choose does not conflict with the family room carpet. Back in 1975 my mother chose an orange carpet to do most of the house with. She let us kids pick carpets for our bedrooms. I chose red and my sister chose blue. Almost 30 years later… this doesn’t look so good. I don’t want to make the same mistake with this carpet.

-Mike

Old 11-17-03, 01:40 PM
my first thought, even before you gave more details, and now more than ever, is to suggest a black/white/gray color scheme with a shot of bright royal blue! mixed with black & chrome exercise equipment and mirrors, you'd have a very high-tech, contemporary look.

if dark rooms don't bother you & you have good lighting in the room, you could go ultra bold and paint 3 walls black and one accent wall in the bright blue! but you said you thought a lighter room would be more energizing, so that might be too cave-like.

BEWARE: if your carpet has any brown tones in it at all (ie beige) then stay away from the grays. but if it's oyster (ie off white, but not yellowy/creamy) then grays will be okay.

if you really want it to feel like a "gym", you could paint some geometric graphics on the walls pretty easily. maybe like a blue "EKG" line zig-zagging around the room, with black painted underneath it and white above it? pretty crazy, but definitely "energizing"!

does any of that sound appealing at all? or am i way off?

how is your wife going to be decorating the family room right outside this room??

Old 11-18-03, 06:57 AM
metadog
Visiting Guest
The black walls might be a bit too "Trading Spaces fantastic." It is bold and I like it, but it might not have the legs to keep me interested in looking at it over the years. Plus, it might be in too much contrast to the family room. Since i will have double doors to the weight room, it might pop too much. As far as light is concerned... there will be six cans in the ceiling and that tiny window. Might not be enough to light black walls.

The zig zag has some appeal to me. I even thought of attaching a couple of chain link fence panels to the walls in diffrent places. Is that too over the top?

Grey, white and blue? Not bad. White trim?

We haven't decided on the family room area yet. At this point, we are just planning on having the contractor paint the walls an egg shell and deal with the walls later. There will be a separate kids play room, full bath, home theater area, gaming area (fooz ball and air hockey) and a bar area.

I attached an illustration of the finished basement plan. I hope it clears up the layout a bit.

Thanks for all of your help!
-Mike

Old 11-18-03, 02:57 PM
chain link fence panels??? you lost me........ you mean for art? or a wall sculpture? or what?

also, there's no attachment that i can see......maybe i'm just not looking in the right place for it?

you know.......i know they're passe, but murals are actually pretty cool. and for your space, being in a basement with virtually no windows, you could put up a really neat mural on one wall and forget you're in a basement! it'd give you something really interesting to look at while you're exercising! they have all kinds of scenes - you could imagine you're working out on the beach looking out over the ocean, or they might even have a scene of a basketball or football stadium or something......i don't know for sure what's all available, but any wallpaper store will have books with a good selection. they're not cheap, but you'd only need to do one wall's worth. it's an option to consider.