Paint vs. stain for baseboard, trim, crown

Old 11-20-03, 05:57 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Paint vs. stain for baseboard, trim, crown

Hi,
In the house we recently bought we had our wood floors redone - they (oak) now look great. In the process, the stained quarteround was removed (& destroyed) & I'd like to replace it. The house has a painted baseboard (no cap), no crown molding and I will be replacing all of the door and window trim. It is a small (1000 sq. ft.) suburban house, ranch, built in the 50s.

So since I'm doing all this (in stages), I thought I'd get some feedback as to how to 'decorate' this trim. I am not adverse to removing the current (somewhat banged up) baseboard so I'm wonder if there are any guidelines as to paint vs. stain. As mentioned, the baseboard was painted, but the original quarterround was stained (same color as the floor). Is this typical/recommended? Should base and crown be the same? Other trim? While I'd like to stain everything, it probably would be overwhelming in this house, but any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Bob

Sponsored Links
Old 11-20-03, 07:57 AM
C
I like stain because it does not show dings the way painted shoe and base do. I have stained shoe molding with painted baseboards. All the trim inside the house is painted.

Hope this helps.

Old 11-20-03, 08:08 AM
wow - beautiful oak floors! i'm sooo jealous!!!!

okay - the reason you're even thinking about this at all is because you've got a wood floor. think of it this way: if you had a tile floor or a linoleum floor, this wouldn't even be an issue. you'd just paint that quarter-round the same as the baseboard, right? so don't let your wood floor confuse you.

in general, i believe baseboards, crown moldings, window trim and doors should all be treated the same way, whether that be painted or stained. so, if you end up painting all your trim, i'd paint the quarter-round, too. it'll give your baseboard some added visual weight, also. just let your wood floors be "wood".

having all the trim in your house treated the same way is the best way to create flow from room to room. the 2nd best way is to have the same flooring in as many rooms as possible.

one more thing: i'd recommend painting all your trim vs. staining. if you've got beautiful oak floors, they'll stand out more as an important element if they're left to shine on their own. also, your furniture will be prettier against painted trimwork, and won't get lost in the "sea" of wood tones as they would if you stain everything.