high ceilings

Old 11-20-03, 07:54 AM
dr-dom
Visiting Guest
high ceilings

I would like to use wallpaper border in a bathroom that has a very high ceiling approx. 11 feet. The walls are all painted the same color and we just repainted them so I will not be doing that again. My question is...should I put the border at the top of the wall near the ceiling or in the center of the wall? The border is approx. 6 inches long and seems lost at the top of the wall but I thought visually it might help to make the wall look shorter. In the center of the wall it looks nice but I usually see this done to break up 2 wall colors. Which is a better design choice? Is there any design rule to this? Thanks any advice would be helpful!

Sponsored Links
Old 11-20-03, 08:22 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
11-foot ceilings? wow! i just love high ceilings!

the "rule" (for regular 8-foot ceilings) is to place it either at the very top, at the very bottom, 1/3 of the way up, or 1/3 of the way down, but never in the middle. if it's in a bathroom, i'd vote for placing it at the top of the vanity (probably about 3 feet up). if you're not willing to paint at all anymore, that's the place it will look the least "slapped on".

you're right about a 6" border being too small to put at the top of an 11-foot wall. but that's a good size for a "chair rail" border. but please consider painting a darker color below the border. it really will add a lot of interest and won't look like an after-thought, and it would be easy to paint at that level (no ladders!).

if you really want to bring the ceiling down visually, the best thing to do would be to put the border at the 8-foot level and paint a darker color above it. even better would be to paint that same dark color on the ceiling, too. i've seen this done and it's a wonderful effect. it really lowers the ceiling and warms up the room for a very cozy look.

Old 11-20-03, 08:44 AM
dr-dom
Visiting Guest
high ceilings

Thanks for the advice!!!! Do you decorate or is it just a hobbie?

I never thought about an 8 foot height, and maybe painting above it. I don't think chair rail height would work though too many things coming in the middle (toilet, large vanity, closet, shower etc...) Also, I forgot to mention, above the shower stall there is a plant arch (the length of the shower) only a 4 inch separation between the two. Does that change your ideas any???

Thanks!

Old 11-20-03, 09:21 AM
i'm not currently working as a designer, but i have in the past and i have a degree in interior design. plus, home improvement & decorating and watching how-to TV shows are my only hobbies!!!

putting borders at chair-rail height usually means they get covered up with furniture or fixtures of some sort, but sometimes you just want a little showing here or there anyway. sometimes the bathroom mirror doesn't sit right on top of the vanity, so you'd see it in between there well enough, and that's usually a focal point anyway. but if that's not your case, then you won't be getting much bang for your buck from the border.

i'm not entirely sure i know what you mean by a "plant arch" above the shower, but if you can place the border above it and clear it, i don't think it'll be a problem. as long as you have a good 24" to 30" or so (about 1/4 of the wall) of paintable area above the border, i think it will look fine.

i used a similar technique in a bedroom once (8-foot ceilings) where i put a border 24" down from the ceiling to separate 2 different wallpapers, and it looked fabulous.

Old 11-20-03, 10:16 AM
C
design knowledge

This is what we need here, someone with design knowledge. I have no talent for design, and feel lost when thinking about how to design something.

Thanks for coming by, Annette.

Old 11-20-03, 10:28 AM
you're welcome! i'd love to be a co-moderator, and applied for such months ago, but still haven't been "hired"!!! maybe you could put in a good word for me! i just love this forum and am totally addicted!

Old 11-20-03, 10:43 AM
dr-dom
Visiting Guest
high ceilings

Thanks again for the advice...I'll try to let you know what we end up doing! Too bad you didn't live closer to me I have a whole house with even higher ceilings (16ft in some spots) that needs decorating ideas as well!!!!

Have a great day!

Jeanette

Old 11-20-03, 11:02 AM
no problem! if you have any more questions, just ask! i'm on this website every day looking for questions i can help answer!

and please post back & tell everyone what you ended up doing and how it turned out!!! it's maddening to not know how things turn out!

lots of luck!!

Old 11-20-03, 09:09 PM
Classic Touch
Visiting Guest
`

Just a suggestion.

Have you considered a raised border effect? I have done this in these occasions and it can get a little pricey. However if money is no option here is how it goes.

A raised border effect can be done with some 1x12 Common pine or Poplar wood ( for painting) and a custom 12" border with a small base shoe moulding turned upside down on the bottom of the 1x12. This border will be approx. 13" high and look real nice all the way up at the top on those 11' high ceilings.

STEP 1 You Install the 1x12 first at the top of your ceiling nailing every 16" into the framing underneath. Once the Boards are up apply some paintable latex caulking at the top of the 1x12 where it meets the ceiling. Ceilings are famous for dips. This covers all those unfinished looking lines you may see.

STEP 2 Then you procede to install the base shoe Moulding Upside down on the bottom of that 1x12 again nailing every 16"

STEP 3 Paint it with your choice of color and finish (semi gloss works nicely =)

STEP 4 After the paint has dried Apply that 12" custom border that you payed alot of money for on the face of the 1x12

Good Luck

John K

Classic Touch Mouldings Doors and HardWood Floors

Old 12-05-03, 06:28 AM
dr-dom
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up high ceilings

Annette,

I took your advice, and put my border up 8ft , took a little of the original paint which was a dusty salmon mixed it with some eggshell white and repainted under the border. WOW it really brought the ceiling down and looks great! I like it so much, I bought a border for my other bathroom and can't wait to get started! Thanks again and have a great holiday!!!!!

Jeanette