help me paint!

Old 12-03-03, 11:44 AM
mandy
Visiting Guest
Question help me paint!

I am getting a new home next month and there are so many themes that i like and i would like to incorporate in my house but i just don't know how to incorporate all of it together and i cant choose what theme to go with????? I love bright colors, but i also love black and white. If i had a white house with black accents, and a tan wall would that work???? please help!

amanda

Sponsored Links
Old 12-03-03, 01:04 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I'm going to send this over to the decorators, maybe they can help.

Old 12-04-03, 10:37 AM
Congratulations on your new home!

black, white, and khaki with bright accents would definitely work together! however, as far as themes go, you probably can't have everything you want! i know how frustrating that is, but you WILL have to choose! you couldn't, for example, have a country blue, mauve & cream kitchen with weathered antiques and gingham plaids next to a black & white living room with bright accents. but you could have the country kitchen if the colors you use play off the black & white and brights, such as red & white gingham. what i'm saying is, color is the most important thing to tie your rooms together, more so than style.

it sounds like your new house is a blank slate, but surely you have something existing that you'll want to (or have to) work around. it really helps to have a starting point and work out from there.

personally, i have found it easier to keep my "themes" contained. for example, i have a hall bathroom (a room that doesn't need to "go" with any other rooms) that i've devoted to my collection of birdhouses. and in my kitchen, i have grapevine wallpaper. but the way i've connected the two is by color - they both share the same olive/sage green color, which is the color of my upholstered pieces in the family room, which is in between the two. so, if you plan ahead, you can have different "themes" and looks in rooms, but you've got to find some way to create flow between them all, and the easiest way is with color.

does that help? or just confuse you more?! what are some of the themes & color schemes you like and are wanting to use?

Old 12-14-03, 08:49 PM
T
Paint colors

You have been given some very professional advice, but I would like to reinforce that by saying that you must decide on a color scheme. You can let one color or another of that scheme dominate in any room (and with any theme--bird houses, or whatever), just keep your colors within akin and the colors will carry throughout your home.

I love all colors and would love to live in a zillion homes where I could pull off all my color schemes and dreams of different decors. Yet, I am currently almost homeless and have no choices. Where I live now I keep it basic neutral on walls and floors, but I am still keep colors coordinated as dictated by my area rugs. I carry my combination of colors throughout my living colors so that all the colors flow despite the room or its theme.