Need opinions on paneling

Old 12-21-03, 03:30 PM
Mom2Z
Visiting Guest
Need opinions on paneling

I have a small half bath that I am remodeling. It is 3'3" wide and 5'9" deep with a 7 or 8 foot ceiling. We've decided to cover the walls with paneling that we will paint a pale lavendar. My question is do you think it would look better with beadboard or regular (wider-plank) paneling. I wanted to go with the beadboard because I thought all the vertical lines might make the room feel taller, but now I'm starting to wonder if they'll make the room feel smaller since there will be so many lines. Will it make it look too busy?
Thanks for your input.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-22-03, 06:52 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
BEADBOARD!!! DEFINITELY!!!

Beadboard says "charming".........regular paneling says "dated"!

in your small space, the narrow width of the stripes of the beadboard will make the room seem larger than the wider stripes of paneling. the smaller the scale of a pattern (or narrowness of stripes), the LESS busy a pattern will seem. for example, a huge floral pattern with a lot of space in between the big bouquets, would seem really busy (and obnoxious), but an allover mini-print floral with tiny little flowers all grouped closely together with no space in between would actually expand the space.

so.......your pale lavendar color painted on the narrowly striped beadboard will make your little bathroom seem spacious, light & airy!

good luck, have fun & Happy Holidays!

Old 12-24-03, 05:15 PM
Furniture Bldr
Visiting Guest
My first question to you is, "Why would you use any type of paneling?" Paneling was big in the 1970's. Beadboard reminds me of paneling but in a different style. People are now moving and have moved towards Faux painted walls and textured walls.

I typically do work in a lot of high end homes and have not seen paneling in any of those homes. Not saying that someone doesn't have it, but it's not very popular. Of course, not everyone will share the same opinion either.

If people are going to panel the walls, they typically do it with wood panels, that you or a cabinet maker can make up. Notwithstanding everyone has a budget to work with.

You could also put flowers on the walls like hildi did from Trading Spaces. Hehe.

Old 12-24-03, 06:36 PM
Mom2Z
Visiting Guest
Mike, don't even get me started on those flowers...or her feathers, or her paperbags, or that hay!

We are considering paneling because our walls are horrid. Everytime I try to remove the painted wallpaper I end up taking off the top layer of drywall. My first thought was to put some type of texture on the wall but I have no idea where to begin. If you're a Trading Spaces fan perhaps you've seen Doug's "venetian plaster." That is way too complicated and time consuming for me to want to do.

Any suggestions on a fairly quick, low-hassle finish? A simple faux finish won't do because the walls are just that bad.

Thanks!!

Old 12-24-03, 06:57 PM
Furniture Bldr
Visiting Guest
LOL, Aw, come on! Trading Spaces ALWAYS have the greatest design elements! ::Sinckers::

Well, to be honest, replacing the drywall isn't a hard job, it's the Taping and Mudding that can be dificult. You can find a drywall person to put up new drywall, tape and mud for about $20.00 a sheet. "If the drywall torn off by you" I'm not exact on my figures, but it's pretty close. Then you wouldn't need to worry about how you're going to cover the old "Wink" It's not a costly thing to do, but it sure can be a time-saver when it comes to trying to hide the old. Figure, If you take the cost of all the paneling/beadboard, plus sanding it to 120 before you prime and paint it, It could very well cost you more physical money than time money.

Last edited by Furniture Bldr; 12-24-03 at 10:57 PM.
Old 12-24-03, 10:54 PM
Furniture Bldr
Visiting Guest
Ps Mom,

Did you see her latest "Creation"?

Cardboard on the walls.

:X

Old 12-24-03, 11:44 PM
Furniture Bldr
Visiting Guest
Any suggestions on a fairly quick, low-hassle finish? A simple faux finish won't do because the walls are just that bad.

If you're going to even suggest a "Quick/Easy/Cheap" way to do home improvements, you might want to stop yourself right there. When was the last time you did a quick, easy, cheap home improvement that turned out great the first time? If you know of any, please sign me up.

To do Home Improvements the right way, it's never a quick, easy, cheap thing. I'm remodeling my kitchen right now.... New cabinets, granite countertops, can lights, drywall work, solid maple flooring. "Real Wood" It's going to cost me about 10,000, with me doing everything myself, except the granite. The granite guy and I are going to barder, so I will be getting the granite essentially for free. I guess it helps to be handy.

Even though I'm doing everything myself, it sure as heck is going to cost a lot of money anyways. 10,000 isnt a drop in the bucket for most of us. "Thank Gosh I'm Not Married!" hehe

I have people ask me all the time to make Custom Furniture at a reasonable price. The word "Custom" is a clue that it's not inexpensive. Good quality items, whether it would be, Cabinetry, Flooring, Paint, Lights, etc are all expensive. I was sent this Law Of Business by a good friend and it's very true. Read it, and think about it the next time you do the home improvements or hire a contractor.

****The common law of business*****

There is hardly anything in the world that someone cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man’s lawful prey.

It is unwise to pay too little.

When you pay too much, you lose a little money… that is all.
When you pay too little you sometimes lose everything, because the thing you bought was incapable of doing the thing it was bought to do.

The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot… it can’t be done.
If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is wise to add something for the risk you run.
And if you do that, you will have enough to pay for something better.

Old 12-29-03, 10:11 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Depending on the age of your house, if it's older, i still think beadboard would be VERY charming & cute & cottagey.

but an even easier fix would be simply wallpaper. if your walls are seriously bad, use that wall liner for rough walls first (i don't think it's any harder to hang than paper). or just skim-coat your walls with joint compound first. it's easy to do (i've done it) and you can "sand" it afterward with a damp sponge (no dust). then prime & paper. then you could wallpaper with anything you want.

or......use that anaglypta (sp?) wallpaper (not the kind that's just embossed and can be easily smashed flat, but the kind that's thick and spongy). it's a patterned "paper" that a rough wall texture wouldn't show through.

i think any of the above suggestions would be easier than hanging beadboard or new drywall.