Designing my new living room

Old 12-24-03, 01:05 PM
molho
Visiting Guest
Lightbulb Designing my new living room

Dear Forum,
I'm about to move to a new place, and I really need an idea of designing my new living room.
As seen in the picture the measures of the living room are 30feet on 18feet, with a fireplace and a mirror covering one of the walls.

Sofas/Couches where? is there a better place for the TV? Should i place a TV at all in the living room?

I'd be glad to hear your thoughts and ideas.
Confused,
Jeki.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-24-03, 05:09 PM
Furniture Bldr
Visiting Guest
Well, first off,

When designing a room, you need to take into consideration of what you typically use a living room for.

Is it a place where you gather all the time or is it more when you have get- togethers.

Then think of what colors you like the most. Earth tones, etc. Would you want it to be a cozy room or a formal room.

As far as the tv, couches, etc placement. "If Possible" Set them in a place where you can see the TV and enjoy the warmth of the Fire Place. Typically sectional couches work well for this application.

I personally would do away with the mirrored walls. Mirrored walls were big in the 70's/80's, but are not seen very much at all any more. Textured and Faux painted walls are popular.

The overall thing you need to decide is what is this room going to be mainly used for and how often are you going to be in it. If you're not in it very often, then devote the majority of your budget to an area that is used all the time. ie Kitchen.

Old 12-29-03, 01:02 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
"as seen in the picture"???? what picture?!?!

anyway.......Furniture Bldr's advice is right-on. you need to decide what you're going to use the room for. do you have a "den" or a family room? if so, then you can put your TV in that other room (or even your bedroom, if you don't watch much TV) and keep this room's focal point on the fireplace and a conversational grouping of furniture. it's always a challenge to orient the seating arrangement when you've got 2 focal points (a TV AND a fireplace). so, if you can avoid that situation, by all means, DO!!!

otherwise, if this is your only "TV room", then you'll just want to make sure you don't have any of the furniture (sofas or chairs) facing away from the fireplace. so, like Furniture Bldr said, "L" shaped sectionals are very good for this type of room. but you can also use a sofa and chair or a sofa and loveseat placed in an "L" shape to accomplish the same thing. one piece would face the TV and the other would point to the fireplace. it makes for a nice seating arrangement.

if your room is 30 x 18, then it's good size. you might consider "floating" your upholstered pieces in the middle of the room, as opposed to having all your furniture up against the walls. this will help break up your large space. (sure wish i could see that "picture"!!!) and make for a more interesting and cozy seating arrangement.

as for the mirrored wall, is that on the 30-foot wall or the 18-foot wall? those are great for making smaller rooms seem larger, but you've already got a large room, so i'm thinking that mirror isn't doing you much good (except making the room seem cold maybe?), and if it's floor-to-ceiling, then it's taking up valuable space that could be put to better use with built-in book shelves, which would be more interesting visually and provide you with great storage and/or display space.