help creating library

Old 01-05-04, 11:45 PM
Cate De Shazer
Visiting Guest
help creating library

I have no color sense or decorating skills and therefore no confidence. I saw a color scheme I liked - I will put the photo on this page of my website... www.windsox.us/ME/room.html

I am trying to put a room together - a sort of reading room. It has a fireplace with a wood (boring) mantel and is made of dark beige stone - I like the stone.

I am putting in a corner window seat - 30" wide and 90" long. I found some pretty fabric - similar to the chair in the photo. I plan to make the cabinets under the seat cushion the creamy beige color of the window sills. I plan to paint the walls the green (?) color in the photo.

I will put in my floor plan on that page and photos of cabinets.

My questions. Does my colors sound good? What kind of floor covering would look good. A rug or wood. Is my layout okay if I add 2 chairs in center of room - in front of fireplace with a table between them. The cabinets will be filled with books - the room almost a library.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-06-04, 01:48 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
you have no decorating skills??? give me a break! you are more detail-oriented than some designers i've known!!! the fact that you're planning it ALL out in detail BEFORE you commit to anything is phenomenal! that is exactly how i do things! it's better to do it that way and avoid committing to something, only to have all your plans dead-end because you couldn't find a _____ to go with everything else! you're off to an excellent start.

i think your colors sound great. when i first think "library", i picture dark woods, deep colors, rich fabrics, leather, etc. (very masculine stuff), but you're doing a lighter, airier, "botanical" version, which will work great, too!

my vote is for painting your cabinets and trim (all the woodwork) in the off-white color (used on the window trim in your picture) (fyi - "beige" is more like a tan - which you would NOT want to use on your cabinets! ) i would then go with a wood floor for a fresh, clean look. it'll set off your cabinets and painted woodwork the best and will warm up the room. the wood floor will go nicely with your stone fireplace, too (both "earthy"). then you can find a nice area rug for another accent.

the mossy green walls will be fabulous with the off-white cabinets and the wood floor.

without seeing them, your "yellow" leather chairs will probably be okay - a bright accent lending a sunny element to the botanical theme. you might try to include some accessories (a painting or nicknacks for the shelving) that are yellow or have yellow in them, to blend the chairs in with the rest of the room a bit.

do you have window treatments planned yet? how about lighting? if you're floating your seating arrangement in the center of the room, you'll want to think about a floor outlet to plug in a lamp, or install some recessed lighting in the ceiling above the grouping. for reading, the lamp idea would be better.

so far, i think everything sounds great!

Old 01-06-04, 02:25 PM
Cate De Shazer
Visiting Guest
Thank you for bolstering my confidence. The pre-planning is fear and my brainset as an old accountant and past bad experiences.

I didn't plan a window treatment. The window seat will be against the wall and the window looks out on 5 unoccupied acres of pasture and trees. No need for privacy - but would it look okay without anything. My dogs and cats will be on seat much more than me and I figured drapes would get ruined. I planned to put shelf above window with my collection of wineglasses and leave window bare.

What kind of throw rugs - plain colors or more florals. I will put rugs I like on my page...www.windsox.us/ME/room.html

Would you change mantel - the one in the photo is very similar to mine. It is 8 inches deep and just a rectangular piece of wood.

What color is the green. I tried to print photo to my printer to show paint store but success. What color would you call the off-white..I bought a foot of fabric - should I just get paint to match lightest color.

Thank you for helping me.

Old 01-06-04, 02:52 PM
i love the screen with the leaves!!!!! wow - what a find! now that's what i call pulling a look together!

and i LOVE the stone on the fireplace! i think the simple wood mantle is great - doesn't take away from the stone & won't be too ornate or too heavy - i think you want to keep your room "light". you might add a smidge of moulding to it, so it's not literally just a rectangle of wood - something similar to the mouldings on your cabinets would be ideal.

i think keeping your windows unadorned is fine since you don't need privacy (or light control?) and the shelf above with wine glasses sounds interesting (i'm assuming the colors of the glasses are compatible with your room's colors). here's something to consider: instead of mounting a shelf ABOVE your window, why not use a glass shelf about a foot down from the top of the window (inside the frame of the window)? then the light will shine in THROUGH the glasses! i've seen it done with old bottles and it was really pretty. just a thought.....

rugs: i was thinking "area rug", not "throw rug". something fairly weighty. if your only pattern in the room so far is the leafy print on the window seat cushion, then you could probably stand some more pattern. if you like florals, maybe you can find a floral with subtle colors in it and similar leaves. if nothing else, a solid color with a carved leaf pattern in it in a darker mossy green would be a good anchor.

how "bright" are those yellow leather chairs???

names of colors? who knows!!! i call that green "mossy" green - some would say celery, although that's lighter in my mind. it's kind of a kelly green but much grayer (muddier)......you'll know it when you see it. i recommend buying the smallest quantity you can of the shade you think you'll want and paint up a big 2x3 foot piece of poster board and tack it up on your wall and look at it about 100 times a day for a week! then you'll see it in all kinds of light. and tack up a piece of the fabric below it. that's what i do!

to pick the off-white for your trim, use the fabric as a guide. just keep the color in the same family and go for something light. off-whites can be tricky - you don't want it too yellowy or too pinky.....the way paint store display their colors is really helpful. if you start with a nice color in the middle, say brown (like the brown in your stone), and run from the pure brown color all the way up to the white end of that color family, you'll end up with a good off-white that's not pink or yellow.

then be sure to check it with different lights & up against all the different elements in the room. it may look different depending on what it's held up against. mostly, compare how it looks when it's up against the green, since that's where it'll be.

Old 01-06-04, 03:06 PM
Cate De Shazer
Visiting Guest
Library

I love your idea about the shelf within the window.

I put four rugs on the page - www.windsox.us/ME/room.html

I love the second one going left to right.

Thanks for paint help - I went down and just stood in front of display and was hopelessly lost. When I painted my house I bought 8 pints of paint and slooshed it on areas of my house before I found THE ONE. I apparently don't have color sense.

Is an area rug almost room size ? That would save on hardwood.

My wine glasses are mostly clear but I could get some yellow and greens - It will be fun to search for them.

Lighting is a problem - the window is on the east wall of house and gets morning sun but house is very old and I have no ceiling--It is a full hip room and I took out all drywall and created a dome - sort of like a rounded A-frame. I eventually will put metal up there. I put new roof on and had insulation put on the outside so can look up and see cedar roof structure unobstructed.

I have 2 plugs in room and planned on running wire under floor and coming up where I need lamps.

I can't believe how helpful you have been.

Wait a few minutes and I will add a photo of what I see out of my window - sort of... and I put on page a rug with chair colors.

Cate

Old 01-06-04, 03:57 PM
hurry up with those pictures!!! the suspense is killing me!!! (just kidding!)

an area rug can be any size. the most common are 4X6, 5X7, 8X11, or 11x14.....or custom. if your floor is not in too bad of shape, that would be a good way to go. or if it's in pretty BAD shape, you might just want to carpet. you could still lay an area rug over carpet. it all depends on the condition your current floor is in, which way you want to go.

clear glasses would be fine.....i just didn't want you to have any colors that would clash! actually, all clear might be nice........then again, since you won't have any window dressings, a little color might be nice, too...................

a metal ceiling??? details, please........

sounds like the floor outlet is definitely what you'll need to do to have decent reading light in there. just be sure of where you'll be placing your furniture beforehand!

let me know when you've added the rug pictures......

isn't decorating FUN!!!!! i'm glad i'm helping you!

Old 01-06-04, 05:38 PM
Cate De Shazer
Visiting Guest
metal roof

If you go to www.windsox.us/ME/room1.html you will see what I mean about metal roof.

Going to www.windsox.us/ME/room.html will show you the rugs. I like the idea of an almost room size rug. I saw on BBC where they inserted a rug into a hardwood floor - it was really pretty and probably within my skill level.

It sure helps to see the photos huh - If anyone wants to display a photo I have tons of room on my website and if they email me the photo I will put it on a page for them - no strings attached.

Old 01-06-04, 09:07 PM
wow! what a view!!! definitely no need to cover up those windows!

i also love the 2nd rug. and your chairs are apparently NOT yellow! (which is actually quite a relief to me!!) if they're more like the stone color (goldish tan) then you couldn't ask for more!! that will be perfect! an 11x14 rug would be about as big as you could fit in front of the fireplace. it actually might be a tad TOO big for just a grouping of 2 chairs and a table. now if you had a sofa you were putting front of the fireplace, flanked by the 2 chairs, then you'd want the 11x14. but for just the 2 chairs, i'd go 8x10 max. you should get some newspapers out & a tape measure and block out an 8x10 area on the floor and see how that works. (i've got an 8x10 rug under my dining room table and it looks plenty big for 2 chairs).

if you decide on that ivy rug, i'd match the paint for the cabinetry & woodwork to that creamy white color in the center of the rug. you don't want white-ish woodwork and a creamy rug - the rug would look dingey (dirty) in comparison.

now, the only place you're using the leaf patterned fabric is on a window seat cushion, right? any chance of posting a picture of the fabric?

i also like the new screen. either that one or the first one with the all-over ivy. personally, i'd vote for the allover, but certainly either would work.

HOWEVER: the tin tile ceiling is a surprise.......that's a whole lot of pattern & texture & gray/metal color. don't get me wrong - i LOVE old tin ceilings.......especially in kitchens.....and even better when they're painted white. but i'm not sure about in a library and left their metal color. i'm afraid it'll be too dark and too busy and distract from your gorgeous fireplace and woodwork and shelves.....i just can't see a tin ceiling in the same room as a stone fireplace. you were going along so well with your warm, natural materials - wood floor, stone fireplace, mossy green walls.......and then WHAM! cold gray tin ceiling. see what i mean? and your ceiling isn't just a simple, flat level ceiling, is it? it has several peaks and valleys...adding to the busy-ness of it. did you say, even after the tin ceiling is installed, you'll still have exposed wood ceiling beams? if so, that would really, REALLY be busy. at the very least, i would recommend painting the tin ceiling the same creamy white color you use on the woodwork. you'll still have the tiles, which you love, but it won't be such a cold metal look, and it will be lighter (and from what you've described, you could use all the light you can get!)

Old 01-07-04, 11:15 PM
Cate De Shazer
Visiting Guest
library help

I am sorry took so long to reply. I am a medical transport - taking people to/from medical procedures and a normal trip can last well over 12 hours. I left at 4 am and just got home and it's 11pm. We are very remote here - we have only stoplight in 165 miles.

See - I told you I was doomed without your help.

The ceiling (you are right - it is a maze of triangles etc.) is very busy. It is 14 feet (at least) high to pitch of roof and I want to leave the cedar beams natural - such a pretty color. I love your idea of painting them creamy white..it will make tin look like plaster and make ceiling even look higher.

I wish I could put a photo of fabric on page but can't find anything like it. It is very airy - with a tan background with white leaves and then sporadic green leaves - the green is comprised of 3 colors of green from sea green to shadows of dark green. It is upholstry material but looks like gossimer (sp) watercolor - it is not heavy pattern - in the full width piece I bought it probably has 6 green leaves - I am explaining this so badly. It is nowhere as heavy a pattern as the one in my photo. It is more what you would imagine an appropriate pattern for going to a spring wedding. I will continue to search for something close.

I have 2 large dogs and room is only 12 1/2 feet wide - and they lay in front on fireplace - hogging all the heat. With the hearth and their sprawled out bodies ..I don't have room for a sofa.

Please don't set me free yet and please don't imagine I have your skills or eye.

Cate

Old 01-08-04, 12:05 AM
Cate De Shazer
Visiting Guest
Fabric

I think I found some photos close to my fabric. They are photos of wallpaper but are very similar to color and feel of my fabric.

I am limited in selections out here - only 1 fabric store within 200 miles - and I spent one whole morning checking out every fabric. The lady said it wouldn't wear well if lots of use - but I am by myself (expect animals) and kept going back to it - comparing every other fabric to it. So I am stuck with it - happily - unless you think it ruins the feel.

go to www.windsox.us/ME/room.html to see it and to see Ivan the Terrible.

Cate

Old 01-08-04, 07:03 AM
wow! you ARE out in the boonies, aren't you?! no wonder you have so many furry friends to keep you company! (i wouldn't turn your back on Ivan, though, he looks ornery!)

the fabric still looks fine to me, as long as it looks fine with that rug.....rugs are harder to find than fabric, so i'd get the rug first and then if the fabric doesn't work, you can find another fabric. unless you're more in love with the fabric than that rug, then i'd get the fabric first and you can always get a solid rug. but since you'll be getting more punch with the large, center-stage rug than the little bit of fabric on the window seat, i vote for decorating around that ivy rug - i loved it! (obviously, i'm having doubts about the fabric going with the rug. the fabric seems too light & airy & delicately patterned for the rather bold rug. )

as long as you're willing to paint your ceiling tiles white, you might also be willing to save yourself some money and use one of the wallpapers that's available that looks like a tin ceiling. are you familiar with it? it's called Anaglypta. it's a fairly thick wallpaper that's embossed with the design of old tin ceiling tiles, and comes in lots of different patterns. you hang it on the ceiling like wallpaper and then you can paint it. it's great stuff and i'm sure much cheaper than real tin tiles plus the labor to install them. there are 2 kinds: one is just thick paper and one side is puffed out with the design and the back is the reverse - indented impressions of the puffed out area on the front. i don't care for this type because the pattern is easily accidentally smashed flat when installing it and the effect is ruined. the other kind is a thicker, sponge-type vinyl that is puffed out with the pattern on the front (like the first type) but then the back is flat. it's not "embossed" like the first one, it's actually kind of thick, so you CAN'T smash down the pattern. this is the type i'd recommend. i know some hardware stores carry it (Lowe's, etc) and any wallpaper store could get it. with your "maze of triangles" ceiling, i would think the wallpaper would be a simpler solution and give you the same result.

however, i truly don't think your room sounds like it needs this type of treatment on the ceiling at all. the architectural shape of the ceiling, with all it's hips & valleys and exposed beams is ENOUGH! i think it will be too much to have this tin ceiling look also. but now we're getting into a "personal preference" type of situation, and obviously you'll do whatever you want! but i have to throw all that in just so you can't blame me if you end up hating it! ha ha! just kidding...it's not something that will completely ruin your room by any means, especially if you paint it white. i just don't think it's something you even need to be spending money or time on. i think the focus will be on your fireplace and the lines of the ceiling and the view out your windows and your gorgeous rug (what you'll be able to see of it under the dogs! ha) and your cabinets & bookcases. but, you do what you want.

Old 01-08-04, 11:37 AM
Cate De Shazer
Visiting Guest
library

I have to put something in the triangle areas - the triangle areas show the insulation and roof slates in various states of wellness. I liked the idea of tin to reflect the heat back to me and to cover the bluish hue of the insulation and thought it was pretty.

The paper sounds like a God's send - easier to do and cheaper - maybe I will put up plain paper and paint it to match the cedar joists.

I love that rug too - and Ivan is an angel - noisy and just learning how well his pointy horns (not about 2 feet long) get him to the front of the treat line. He is a jacob sheep and like most of them has 4 horns.

I am learning so much - I see what you mean by busy - I didn't think of the whole. I just imagined how pretty the tin would look and didn't realize it would effect other things. I have more bad news - I guess I should come clean - the room also has another window - you know those houses where the windows occupy the entire corners of a house. The other window isn't as long but almost and I took it out and butted my bird aviary up to it. It is 6 feet long and butts up to the fireplace on one side and the other window on the other side. So from my window seat I will be able to look outside to pasture and to the right seeing inside my aviary (14x40x12 feet high) with my 30+ birds. In fact they can visit me as I read - and they are all colors and sizes. Should I abandon all design because of my birds colors and just stay with rug and solid color on window seat ?

Old 01-08-04, 11:50 AM
if you can look up and see insulation, then what exactly were you planning on attaching the tin ceiling tiles TO??? don't you need to put up drywall?

Old 01-08-04, 04:32 PM
Cate De Shazer
Visiting Guest
ROOF

When I look up I see the bottom of hard board insulation. It is often used insulation but not the batted type most people have.

It is a hard board a mix of foamboard and drywall and insulation. I had it put down on top of beams - on outside of roof and then regular metal roofing on top of that - they were supposed to lay plywood down then the hard board but they did not - they said leaving the original roofing slats (from a shake shingle) would hold the board - they didn't remember what I wanted to do with it on the inside. But the original slats are often enough to attach to - but spaced so every so often you see the blue hardboard - and I wanted the tin look so I didn't make them tear it off and do it over.

My original ceilings were 6.5 tall and of wood not drywall - my original insulation is this reddish stuff that looks like horsehair stuffing from old chairs. This is an old house with character but problems. I have 2+ acres of old orchard and live in the prettiest place on earth - so I am willing to live here always under construction. The house and acreage only cost $45000 and my companies support me nicely -- so I can create a house that fits my needs and not worry about resale value. My only heat is fireplace and wood stove. I have to turn tv off to make coffee - I am basically rebuilding it while surviving in it. I have redone the foundation - raised the house with 20 tons of gravel completed 2 of 3 roofs ( my last roof will be of glass or acrlyic so I can see the stars )- added 2 bird aviaries - 2 garages - a sun deck and redone the plumbing and septic system. I had no septic tank - a white horse got stuck in it and sheriff had to shoot horse as they couldn't get it out and they buried him and my septic about 40 years ago. I had a cesspool. I am half way done with electric and had to remove all drywall on walls because of mold. This room will be the first room finished for a human. My chicken house and sheep house and avairies came first - now It IS my turn. That is why I want to do it right. When it thaws here and stops raining (about April) I have to be done with this room as I have dug out a pond for the ducks I am getting.

See you are my only chance to get it right. Up to now I have been doing stuff essential but nothing to enjoy. I have an office between the two bird aviaries (future glass ceiling) but it is functional only. I want a pretty room and I need your help not to ruin it with my wierd tastes and lack of style.

Old 01-11-04, 12:00 PM
how could you possibly ruin your room with your "wierd tastes and lack of style"? your tastes and preferences ARE your style! YOU know what you like. we all have our own style. wouldn't you rather have your room look like it was decorated by YOU instead of ME??? everything is just a matter of personal opinion.

i think your room will turn out just fine. you've got a "nature theme" going with the ivy rug and ivy fireplace screen and window seat fabric, and the stone on the fireplace and the wood floor & cabinetry, not to mention the REAL nature all around you!! go ahead with the tin ceiling, just paint it the woodwork color and it'll be beautiful.

once you get this phase done, let me know how it's going and if you need help with anything else!