undertones

Old 02-06-04, 07:11 PM
Deb Laird
Visiting Guest
undertones

My past experience was with sage green carpet. Every color of paint I put on my walls, eggshell finish, turned green. At one time, I had eight different colors on my walls try to decide which one look the least green.

I recently got new carpet. I have to paint again. I have a north windows, lots of light during the day and gold/tan carpet.

And after three attempts to choice a color, a quart at a time, I'm frustrated again. The tans look pink or yellow. How do I get a nice warm tan with out under tones. My last choice would be any sort of white.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-08-04, 06:10 AM
Deb Laird
Visiting Guest
The colors I've had mixed have had brown gold and yellow. Can I just add brown to a paint and get tan? I'm going to have to settle for an off white if I can't figure this out. My closest paint store is five miles, not real convenient in winter weather.

Old 02-09-04, 07:40 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
if you ask me, picking paint colors is one of the most frustrating things about decorating! because even once you find the "right" one, it'll look different come sundown, and different yet at night, and then back to looking "right" in the morning! so just plan on that from the beginning! also, be sure to check your colors at several different times of day.

another factor could be your window coverings - do you have colored sheers over them? or colored lamp shades? if so, that's affecting your colors. also, if your room is completely cleared out except for the carpet, once you get your furnishings back in there, the colors will change again!

another factor is the store you're picking your paint from. some displays are better than others. i like the ones where you can start with a pure color sample and then go from that color straight up to almost black or straight down to almost white - without the hue changing in any way other than it's shade or tint. so, if you're wanting to find just a lighter shade of your carpet, start by finding your exact carpet color in a paint chip, and then going lighter from there. Home Depot has a large color book that they keep behind their counter that has this set-up. you'll just have to ask the salesperson. and of course, take in a carpet sample with you.

however, if that's what you've been doing & you're still having problems, then maybe you need to go blue-er, to offset the pink undertones. think "cooler".

i can see why you wouldn't want the walls to look pink, but if your carpet is a goldish tan, then a tan wall with a gold tint would be great and very warm. maybe you're fighting it too much? you want your walls & carpet to blend and look like they go together, and aren't too contrasting. you don't want a warm carpet & cool walls.

hope this helps you.

Old 02-09-04, 12:01 PM
Deb Laird
Visiting Guest
Thank you.

Your info gives me something to think about. My two patio doors on the north have no window treatments. The color on the wall opposite the windows is washed out by daylight.

So I have a cool north light and I'm trying to create a warm fuzzy atmosphere in the room. I kind of did what you suggested, I have a warm white and I'm making it darker, squirt by squirt. If it starts to get to dark, I'll back up and paint. I smile real big everytime I enter the paint store, if they ever kick me out, I'm doomed!

Maybe I should add tan sheers to the doors.