color scheme for my new home

Old 05-01-00, 08:21 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

Help! I'm using dark and smoky "jewel tone" colors: green, blue, burgandy, black and taupe/grey. The taupe/grey I want as a basic color through-out my home, using the black, green, blue, and burgandy as accents here and there. What do I do when it comes to bedrooms and bathrooms? I have 4 kids. Can I take the burgandy - lighten it to a blushy pink color for the girls room and have it "fit" into my home? The blue to a lighter blue for the boy's room? What is the standard in the design world for home color schemes? HELP !!!

Sponsored Links
Old 05-18-00, 07:12 PM
Visiting Guest
Marci - You are on the right track. When you choose the color (like lightened burgundy for the girls room) just be sure to lighten it to the same value as your grey/taupe in you other rooms. It will have a consistant "look" when you are done.
When you use the lightened colors for the kids rooms be sure to pick up atleast some of the other strong colors you have used in the other rooms as an accent.
Even though I am an artist - I still go by the rule - "If you like it - it works and is right!"
Have fun with your project.

Old 05-19-00, 01:45 PM
Visiting Guest
You might find it rather boring to live with the same colors throughout your house. I certainly would! Why not do something entirely different in the kids' rooms? The kids might like bright colors in their rooms instead of the paled down shades of the jewel tones. So called decorating "rules" are made to be broken! Do what YOU like!

Enjoy!