Finding Studs behind the Drywall

Old 07-02-00, 08:50 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

I need to screw some XXX-large hooks high on the wall in the landing/entrance area to the stairs leading to the basement. I want to be able to store several large cumbersome items that are used frequently in this spot, because there's no other storage area upstairs and I'm tired of running up and down the stairs for these items when I need them. The items are bulky but not too heavey (ie, baby swing, baby walker). Any suggestions regaring my project are welcome, but my main question is how do I determine where the studs are behind the drywall so I can screw these giantic hooks into the studs? What's the best way to screw them into the drywall/stud? Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-04-00, 08:57 AM
Visiting Guest
If you tap lightly along the wall and listen closely, you will hear and even sometimes feel where the studs are.

Old 07-05-00, 04:08 PM
Visiting Guest
Or you could go to the local hardwood store and buy a stud finder. The are usually very inexpensive and generally work well.

Old 07-05-00, 04:08 PM
Visiting Guest
Or you could go to the local hardware store and buy a stud finder. The are usually very inexpensive and generally work well.