painting unfinished furniture

Old 08-15-00, 08:43 AM
Visiting Guest
Hi! I have some unfinished furniture that I want to paint for my nephew's bedroom. I want to use bright colors and create something really fun and funky — with lots of patterns and designs. First off, I don't know what type of paint to use (acrylic? oil base? — I want to be able to buy multiple colors) and second I don't know if I should put a finish on it. I want it to be able to take some roughness.
THANKS! arodgers

Old 09-01-00, 07:21 AM
Visiting Guest
Wink

Go to your local major brand paint store (not big box store) and they can tell you which type of paint you will need to use for best wear taking surface. Also, you will need to put on a prime coat. They can tell you the steps you will need to take starting with the raw wood i.e. sanding, filling, priming, finish coating, etc.

Now for the fun. Bright colors, fun, funky. Goody! Paint the main case one color that will act as a background. It can be a dark, med., or light neutral like charcoal, green, blue, even black. Next paint each drawer face a different color or select 2,3,4 or more colors to use on various doors/drawers.

You can replace the hardware with anything from airplanes to baseballs or baseball bats. I know one gal who used wood alphabet blocks for drawer pulls in her little guys room then changed the pulls to baseball bats when he got older. Just use anything fun that can be screwed into. Key it to his hobbies/interests, etc. Start a pilot hole in the item and screw in from the back through the inside of the drawer/door face using the original hardware holes.

The nice thing about doing it this way is that you've only really done the drawer/door fronts. Later, as the child gets older and wants that "grown-up look", you only have the drawer/door fronts and pulls to deal with.

Old 09-01-00, 11:30 AM
Visiting Guest
For maximum durability, I would recommend a oil based primer and a oil based enamel paint. Ben Moore and Shermin Williams have some good ones on the market.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: