Facelift for old oriental style furniture

Old 09-17-00, 06:45 AM
Visiting Guest
Wink

We are going to be selling our house soon, and are redecorating. I currently have several pieces of oriental style black lacquer furniture in my bedroom that will not fit the newer light and airy decor. Since I don't want to spend money on new furniture until we get to our new home,I am looking for ways to give this furniture a "face lift" to match the new decor without having to spend a lot of time stripping the finish to paint. Can this type of furniture be painted without stripping it first or can I stencil some type of pattern on it to brighten it up even though it has the more glossy finish? Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Old 10-19-00, 06:47 AM
Visiting Guest
Rough up the finish lightly with sandpaper then clean off dust (ask at hardware store which sandpaper would be best for "roughing up a smooth service - which grade to use" then go to an Art Supply Store like "Michael's Arts & Crafts" and purchase a bottle of "gesso", I would use 2 coats and let each coat dry completely before applying the next coat. Gesso is the primer artists use to prepare a canvas for painting. I saw an episode on HGTV where they used this on smooth finished furniture and it worked beautifully. I have personally used it on a brass lamp before painting with water-based craft paint and so far the lamp still looks perfect after 4 years. If you dont have an Art Supply Store near you call "Dick Blick" (funny name, huh?) Art Supplies and they will mail you a catalog, their number is 800-828-4548. Good Luck :-) PS I also primed with Gesso on a counter top on our boat and it also has worked wonderfully. Dont forget to use a waterbased sealer over the top of the newly painted surface to protect. Waterbased keeps your colors of paint from yellowing!!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: