Inexpensive bed canopy

Old 09-29-00, 09:33 AM
Visiting Guest
Question

Does anyone know how to build or buy an inexpensive bed canopy? I want to put a canopy on my bed, but I can't afford any of the standard wood frame canopies I've seen, so I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction for how-to building instructions so I could do it myself.

Thanks,
Debbie

Sponsored Links
Old 09-30-00, 03:21 PM
Visiting Guest
I have seen a canopy bed that is attached to the ceiling. Gives you kinda the same effect. This is how it was done - Make a wood frame (like a picture frame) the same size as your bed out of 1x2 (or whatever size you want). Then you can either staple or use velcro to attach some material to it. Hang the material to the floor on the corners (say 1-2 ft. in on each corner, depending on how much you want to take it around each corner) and then make a short skirt like valance to go between each panel. Then you attach the frame to the ceiling. When you have it up you then tie back the corners and presto you have a canopy. - p.s. A light weight gause like fabric looks great (or whatever) Also if you use velcro to attach it, you can just take it down to wash and put it back up with no problem. Hope this makes sense and you get the idea.

Old 09-30-00, 06:32 PM
Visiting Guest
Wink

Go to www.discovery.com. Click on Christopher Lowell then Christopher's Classics then Archive of Past Projects. Scroll down to Canopy Bed and click on that.

This is the least expensive yet best looking canopy I've seen yet. Uses only closet poles and pvc elbows. Fabric can be bed sheets (we used 50 cent a yard tulle for my grand-daughter's), or any fabric you like that you can pick up at bargain price from fabric store.

The directions are good, illustrations are photos in full color. Take a look at it and see if you like.

Old 10-01-00, 09:28 AM
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

Hello,

There is a web site called the floating canopy that sells a kit you can buy which comes with all the stuff to make a canopy. It is suspended from the cieling with clear wires, so it looks like its floating. Its worth checking out, it costs about as much as buying the supplies to build it would.
http://www.advtool.com/floatingcanopy

Good luck!

Old 10-08-00, 10:02 PM
Visiting Guest
Smile

Hello,

I just found this site and thought I'd mention it. They sell the cloth that makes up the top of the canopy. Between the floating canopy site and this one, you can have a unique bed canopy for very little money. http://www.thelinenstore.com/canopy.htm

Check it out!

Old 10-20-00, 10:09 AM
Visiting Guest
Lightbulb

If you have regular height celings (8 Ft) try screwing in eye bolts in the celing. Use one for each corner above your bed. Then run a thin wire cabel through that four bolts. Drape fabric over the cabel from floor to celing. Looks very elegant.

Old 10-22-00, 03:34 PM
Visiting Guest
Smile

Hello,

Thanks everyone for the good ideas. I went ahead and bought the floating canopy and have installed it. I just thought I'd tell everyone that I recommend it. It came with everything I needed and was very easy to put up. I'm going to hang lights on it for the holidays

Thanks for the friendly advice,
Debbie