Please help me choose tile

Old 06-02-04, 08:19 PM
O
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Please help me choose tile

I am redoing my kitchen. It is small - 8' X 8' with cabinets and appliance along the north and south walls. I think its called a galley kitchen. My knew cabinets are a medium to light stained alder. The floor is 12 inch marble tile - mostly gray tones with a hint of rose or burgundy. The appliances are white except the sink is stainless steel. I want to tile the counter tops. Is 6 inch the best look? What color and texture should I consider? The adjoining room and in fact most of the condo is a grenn/blue color with navy and burgundy accents. I am so lost.

Old 06-05-04, 10:56 AM
sher
Visiting Guest
I like tile that combines grey and beige tones, so it goes with pretty much everything. Too much grey is cold; too much beige gets yellowish and too warm looking. You'll have to make sure it goes with your rose tones on the floor, so you might have to stick with more of a grey color.

For your countertop, you want something easily cleaned, so that means more of a glazed and even look (rather than pitted, stone-like tiles).

You might consider using 12 x 12 inch tiles. I have seen this mentioned often recently in decorating magazines for countertops because then you have less grout. And you lay the tiles with the minimum size of grout lines between them. Family Handyman magazine had an article in the last few months about tiling your kitchen countertops. I think this article used granite tiles for countertops and backspash, showing you could afford granite countertops if you used tiles rather than full slabs and if you did the work yourself.

Old 06-07-04, 10:24 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
if your floor tile is multi-colored and marbled, i think your countertop tile should be mostly, if not completely, a solid color with very little pattern. you don't want them to fight each other.

as for what color to choose, you could go with the rose or burgundy (although you might tire of them sooner than later), or a gray from the floor tile - either lighter or darker. however, you haven't mentioned your wall color......what will that be? if you put color on the walls, you could stay more neutral on the countertops.

and in such a small space, i think 12x12 tiles might be a little big. i'd stick with the smaller ones - they'll be more proportionate. but, of course, that's just a matter of your personal preference. either would be okay.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: