Help with Little Boys' Rooms

Old 07-30-04, 10:32 AM
zandtsmommy
Visiting Guest
Question Help with Little Boys' Rooms

My family is about to move into our first house; we've been in a single wide trailor. I want to decorate my 4 year old's room in a sports theme but I want to also include a section of his room (maybe a corner) for his huge love of dinosaurs. Will this be wrong to include the dinos in a sports motif room? I plan to do my 2 year old's room in a transportation theme and I even have model airplanes to hang from the ceiling. The boys, while excited about their own larger rooms, they are still rather reluctant about the move. I really want to create a room that they will fall in love with - that's why I have chosen the themes based on things they love. The problem is I don't know where to begin. Can anyone offer any cool ideas or suggestions to help me get started? All suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

Old 08-02-04, 10:28 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
if your son's room has been selected by Decorating Today magazine to be featured in their next issue, then yes, the dinosaurs are out of place in a sports-themed room. if, on the other hand, you are just "regular" people (like me!), then no matter what "theme" you've carefully selected for your boys' rooms, other "stuff" will inevitably end up in them, so you might as well have the dinos in there from the get-go! and while you're at it, go ahead & plan on a dump truck, some race cars, a teddy bear, a sailboat and a cowboy hat! because they never stay "decorated" for long!

you won't have any trouble decorating in either the sports theme or the transportation theme. there's tons of stuff on the market with those themes. i'd start with the bedding. shop around & see what's available. if you find a set that's got a print you like, get it and then decorate around it. if it's busy enough, you might want plainer walls and just some accents here & there. but if you can't find bedding with a print you like, then you may opt for basically solid-colored bedding which you'll need to jazz up with more attention to the walls & accessories.

once you start shopping, you'll see all sorts of things you can use. for example, i know there's a really cute ceiling fan & light kit at my local huge home improvement center, that looks like a baseball glove with bats for the fan blades. if it were me, i'd say that's a must-have and go from there. you can find lightswitch covers in sports themes, too. and also drawer pulls, wallpaper & borders, etc.

i've seen a lot of cute stuff in catalogs, too. you can do a search for "bedding" or "comforter sets" etc and find a lot to choose from.

just remember, a little goes a long way. and in kids' rooms, they can tend to look a little cluttered. so be sure to think about good (and cute!) storage for books & toys. you can always buy inexpensive toy boxes & shelving, and then glue on wood accents you've cut out & painted yourself in different shapes - to get the look of the expensive ones.

Old 08-15-04, 04:46 PM
spransam
Visiting Guest
Baseball-glove overhead fan

Can you tell me at what store you found the baseball glove fan with bat blades? My grandson is about to move into his "big-boy" room. Mom and Dad have decided on a sports=temem, and this would be a perfect addition . . . especially since we live in North Carolina where such fans are not simply decorative but essential to comfort!!

Old 08-16-04, 06:56 AM
the one i saw was made by Hunter. anywhere you can find Hunter ceiling fans, you can get it. i've seen it for around $80-90. the blades are shaped & detailed like baseball bats, and the light fixture kit is a big catcher's mit with the bulb being in a baseball globe. it's adorable.

do an internet search for "baseball ceiling fan" and you'll see it, and maybe some more different versions.

Old 08-19-04, 01:48 PM
MrsFauxster
Visiting Guest
Why not combine the two? You could paint a kid skateboarding down a brontosaurus' back, a pterodactyl with a ballcap on, t-rexes playing b-ball…you get the idea...

Just have fun with it, they are only young once!

Carpe diem!

Old 08-19-04, 01:53 PM
Thumbs up now why didn't i think of that???

Absolutely Fabulous Idea, Mrs. Fauxster!!!!!

Bravo! :d

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: