Towel Rack on Hollow Door

Old 08-10-04, 12:21 PM
Gidget78757
Visiting Guest
Towel Rack on Hollow Door

I know, I know, dumb idea. Unfortunately I have no options. In my guest bathroom I have redone and installed all new everything. The one thing I didn't plan on was the hollow door. The shower is a stand up one that the closest place to put a rack to hold your towel while in the shower is the back of the door. This door is hollow but there is no where else it will fit unless it goes in the closet and then it's pointless. Is there a special anchor I can use or am I just out of luck and I need to buy a new door? I don't want the kind that hang over the door since I have a whole matching set and I just don't like the hang over the door kind. Any advice from anyone on anchor options?

Old 08-10-04, 06:56 PM
bhrhomeremod
Visiting Guest
Red face

I'm unsure if this will help you, but I have ran into the same type of problem with dry-wall. I found anchors that expand when you screw into them and actually grab and squeeze the dry wall. If you check your local hardware store I am almost positive they will carry an anchor that will help you. It may not be made for that application, but they should carry something that will work.

Old 08-11-04, 07:31 AM
Gidget78757
Visiting Guest
Thanks

I'm on my way to find out about them now.

Old 08-11-04, 09:51 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
i think you need a toggle bolt. it looks like a set of airplane wings, but you squeeze them closed to fit into a hole you make in the door and when they get to the inside of the door, they flip back open. then, while you turn the screw, you keep pulling on it & it will stay open on the inside. (you'll see what i mean).

yes - just ask at the hardware store.

Old 08-13-04, 03:44 PM
wonaye
Visiting Guest
You might want to create a decorative frame of sorts to put on your door, which you would attach to the outside (solid) support structure of the door. It could be a simple rectangle across the center made out of molding. Then you could attach your towel rack to that in the center of the door. This would give you more strength for your toggle bolts. Some of the hollow doors are pretty thin and may not hold up well under the stress and strain that a towel rack can get. You could even paint or paper the inside of the frame that you add to match the bathroom decor.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: