upgrading dining room

Old 08-17-04, 12:29 PM
jmac
Visiting Guest
Question upgrading dining room

I have installed new (larger) base molding, upgraded the door casing and installed casing around the front window, as well as installed crown molding in my living room. I painted all molding and casing a lighter shade of the wall color. My wife and I are satisfied with our efforts and have moved on to the dining room (thinking we knew all the answers). No way! We certainly need help with the color scheme. I will be upgrading the door casing, casing in the window, and installing crown molding. I will leave the base molding as is and that starts the problem. The base molding is stained brown and I plan to leave it alone. But what to do with the new door and window casing? I suppose the only answer is to match the stain (oilbased) as near as possible. Will a light shade of the wall color work with the crown? What are some alternatives that would work in this dining room. The room is small, about ten by twelve with an eight foot ceiling.
Thank you for your assistance.
Jim MacDonald

Last edited by Annette; 08-19-04 at 02:09 PM. Reason: removed email address - please keep conversations within public view so all may benefit! :)
Old 08-18-04, 06:08 PM
bhrhomeremod
Visiting Guest
I have always found that trim looks the best when matched. Rarely two different colors, or shades, can work, but rarely. It may be to your best interest if you love the color of the stain or paint, to match it as close as possible, then sand the base trim and paint or stain all trim to match. If the trim is heavily stained (deep) it may be less stressful to also match the base trim and seek the possibility of buying new to restain. Without seeing the house it would be hard to tell if a different shade would matter with the crown. If the room is tall and depending on the color scheme, it may not matter.

Old 08-19-04, 02:19 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
i believe, for the most part, that keeping all the moldings in the house the same color or stain ties all the rooms together & creates flow, and enables you to, if you wish, paint the walls in each room a different color. conversely, if you treat the moldings in each room differently AND have different colored walls in each room, it will become very difficult to coordinate everything and the look becomes chopped up & visually chaotic.

you might be able to get away with having all your baseboards & door/window casings stained, and then for each room with crown molding, paint the crown a lighter color than the walls (or the same as the ceiling). that way, the crown isn't so much a molding, but more of a finishing touch to the walls. 8 foot ceilings are a bit low for crown moldings to begin with, so by painting them a shade slightly lighter than the walls, you're not visually lowering the ceilings as much as a stained crown would tend to.

most importantly, just be consistent with each room.

Old 08-21-04, 08:31 AM
jmac
Visiting Guest
Smile

Thank you very much for your suggestions and sharing your expertise. It is much appreciated. We are going to forego the crown molding since the room is small. I will box in the window and use the same style casing as I'm putting around the door. I will color match the oil based stain (as close as possible) for all new wood and even put a light coat on the existing base mold.
Again, thank you. I would make a lousy interior decorator.
Jim

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: