What color to paint Kitchen?

Old 08-19-04, 12:58 AM
ljshouse
Visiting Guest
What color to paint Kitchen?

Just bought my first house- and I'm in paint up to my elbows... but not sure about the kitchen...

The kitchen has medium brown wood cabinets, white tile counter top and a white floor. The wall leading up to the open breakfast bar is white. Pretty blah- it is a small kitchen w/ not a ton of wall space. I was thinking some kind of a bold chili pepper red, but I don't want it to be too bright or garish... I was also leaning towards a warm cream color, but that's pretty dull. I have a lot of lemon/lemonade decor - but not sure how blue would look, and I'm not keen on a yellow that bright. Help!

Thanks for your input!

Old 08-19-04, 02:55 PM
MrsFauxster
Visiting Guest
Sherwin Williams 6335 Fired Brick is a great color, as is 0040 Roycroft Adobe. 0008 Cajun Red is a great color too. I have done kitchens in all of these colors and they all looked amazing with the right accessories!

Don't forget about the yellow ochre colors-the "orangy" yellows-if the reds are too much for you. They look very European!

Carpe diem!

Old 08-19-04, 03:02 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
with the simple white counters & floor, and not much wall space, i wouldn't be afraid of really bold colors on the wall. this is the perfect opportunity to use them!

decide on your "theme" or other accessories you're going to want to use. if you really want to use your lemons, then i think the blue would offset that wonderfully. blue & yellow with white is a great combination - very crisp, cool & clean.

however, if you're wanting to spice things up & go a little warmer, then the chili pepper red would be great, but i'm not sure if you'd be able to use the lemon stuff. but if you're ready for a change, go for it.

i agree the "warm cream color" would be dull. you can do better.

also - take some cues from the colors in the adjoining rooms. you want to create a certain amount of "flow" in your house, from room to room. for example, maybe pull a color out from your floral living room sofa to use for the kitchen walls.

TIP: once you decide on a basic color, find a few accessories first, before painting. for instance, if you know you're going to want an area rug in front of the sink, then find that first & pick your blue paint to coordinate. or curtains - find them first, then have paint mixed to match. your paint choices are infinite, accessories are not!

good luck!

Old 08-27-04, 12:01 PM
delphinium
Visiting Guest
thought about green?

We bought a house last year with lovely custom cherry cabinets but a really blah kitchen otherwise--ugly linoleum, delaminating white formica countertop, semi-functional applicances. I ran through about six color schemes before settling on a muted mid-tone green (Duron, but forget the color name) for the bottom and leaf-print wallpaper (Lowe's off-the-shelf stock) in green, golden beige, and touches of red for the top (paint below chair rail, wallpaper above). We matched this with a terracotta beige silestone countertop and off-white tile backsplash (the tiles are embossed with leaves). The effect is lovely--restful, put-together, and warm. The adjoining family room had dark wood panelling that we painted a buttermilk beige. Three things in your post made me think "green"--the midtone cabinets (like ours), the white tile (like ours), and the "lemonade" in your other rooms. Anyway, I'm not the biggest fan of green, but I was thrilled with this choice, so I thought I'd put in my $.02. Good luck.

Old 10-05-04, 09:26 AM
Chris S27
Visiting Guest
This is probably too late by now, but I just wanted to share. I just bought a new house as well, and struggled with a color scheme for the longest time. I ended up with what I consider (or like to call) a South-Western Flavor. I've always liked SouthWestern prints and fabric design, so I drew from those.

My primary color in hallways and main living room is benjamin Moore's "Desert Tan". It's a muted yellow/tan like color. very warm.

I complimented it with lots of red. Spanish Red and Deep poinsetta. The latter is a very brick red, where the spanish red is deeper. I've gotten TONS of compliments on the colors. I used the Poinsetta color in the kitchen. The cabinets are a medium wood tone. Off-white counters with off-white (cream) tiles with a reddish like swirl through out the tiles.

Be bold, REDS are very in right now. I love the warmth they provide and the statement they make. The only regret I have was not using the red in my entry foyer!!!

Old 10-05-04, 11:36 AM
lizm75
Visiting Guest
Go for green

We have much the same colors, medium brown cabinets and white tile counter tops. I did a color by behr called mother nature and the contrast between the cabinets and counters with the paint look great and I have gotten many compliments. Including those from my friend with a master of fine art! So I vote green...

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: