bright colors

Old 08-19-04, 11:13 AM
fudarus
Visiting Guest
bright colors

Hello-

My boyfriend and I recenty painted our dining room/foyer (it's the area just off of our kitchen) Sunbeam yellow (Benjamin Moore). It looks more like Bold Yellow- if you check the website, it's actually even brighter than that. We did want a yellow but it turned out a little "cartoony" (think Simpsons). I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions, short of repainting, as how to tone it down or make it work. Are there certain colors I could choose for artwork (we have one very bare wall that we want to decorate) or the tablecloth or rug that might help? The other rooms visible from this bright yellow room are

1) the kitchen: midnight blue tiled walls, terra cotta floor tiles, white cabinets

2) the living room: Cat's Eye green (Benjamin Moore) with midnight blue accents (curtains, sofa, floating shelves)

We would appreciate any input!! Thanks!

Old 08-19-04, 01:41 PM
MrsFauxster
Visiting Guest
Well,
You could always apply a toning glaze to alter the color, but honestly, if you are not familiar with faux finishing and want a quick fix, repainting may just be your easiest and most cost-effective solution!

Carpe diem!

Old 08-19-04, 01:50 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
if you're creative:

if you have enough of the original yellow paint left, you could have it tinted with some brown to tone it down to more of a gold, or some white to lighten it. or you could buy some brown (or whatever) and do it yourself. or maybe do a ragging or sponging using the two together, for a mottled, aged look.

if you're not:

just paint over it, like Mrs. Fauxster suggested. that's easiest.

i wouldn't try to decorate around it in hopes of changing the way it appears. you'll spend more time & money & energy than if you just simply paint it the color you want it to be.

Old 08-20-04, 08:26 AM
fudarus
Visiting Guest
primer

Thanks for the suggestions. I was wondering if I could use primer to lighten it up. I have both paint and primer left over.

Thanks,
Julz

Old 08-20-04, 08:47 AM
hmmm...........tempting, but i'd guess no. i think primer is a whole other thing than paint. the chemistries might make it funky or something. plus the primer is really flat, and your paint is probably satin. before spending time & effort only to have it come out badly, i'd spend a couple bucks & get a new small can of white (or a darker/tanner shade of yellow, or whatever).

upon further thought..........i suppose you could test a small 2x2' area & see what happens. save some of the pure yellow, so in case it looks bad, you can recover it & start over.

Old 08-20-04, 09:08 PM
J
What kind of primer is it? Oil based wont work with latex but water base will. Zinnser 123 primer is actually close to a satin finish.

Old 09-05-04, 07:24 PM
karleen
Visiting Guest
I think I know the color you used and we have the same thing in our back door entry way. I described it as "Easter Bunny Yellow" when I first saw it! We have come to love it. We hung some artwork that has purple, periwinkle, and some other shades of yellow in it and it looks fabulous. If you must tone it down, try sponging it with a softer shade of yellow, but use the same type of paint. Or.... you may want to paint one of the walls a complementary color to shift the focus. Good luck!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: