Are these colors "okay"?

Old 09-08-04, 04:00 PM
Lydia
Visiting Guest
Question Are these colors "okay"?

I am really not good with decorating so I need some help! I have a new house with beige walls and beige carpet. I recently put up curtains in the dining and living rooms (the two rooms connect through an open doorway). The curtains in the living room are burgandy. The curtains in the dining room are sage green. I want to paint the dining room burgandy (there's a chair rail with wainscoting beneath and that would be left white). Then I would paint the living room sage green. It seems like these colors used to be everywhere but now I don't see them as much. Are they still "okay" to use? Also, should I do any kind of texture painting on the walls? Texture's really not my style. I like things clean and simple. I'm all for straight lines and symmetry. But someone told me I really should add texture.

If I do go with these colors, what colors do I use for my front foyer (which connects to the living room) and kitchen (which connects to the dining room)?

Any and all ideas welcome!

Old 09-09-04, 10:20 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
stop! i think you're heading for disaster! if you like things clean & simple, that's not what you're going to end up with, if you continue with your present plan. you're already getting really choppy & mixy-matchy, and you have 2 more spaces to do! think "flow". i would've done those first 2 rooms the same, or at least the same window treatments, since you can probably see both those windows at the same time from somewhere. also, leaving the bottom of the dining room white doesn't sound good. is anything else white? i'd paint that the sage and then the sage drapery will make more sense. otherwise, your dining room is burgundy, white & sage, and none of those colors relate to each other.

is there pattern anywhere? or just all these blocks of solid colors? you really can't get away with using plain solid colors together unless at least one or 2 of them is a neutral, like black/white/red. combining burgundy & sage won't look right unless you introduce a pattern (or something) that contains at least those 2 colors, preferably those 2 and a few more. maybe an area rug or artwork or throw pillows in a patterned fabric, etc.

if you're set on the first 2 rooms being burgundy & sage, then i'd do the foyer & kitchen in the sage, and let the dining room be the "dramatic" accent room. you might be able to do an accent wall near the foyer, too, without it getting too crazy.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: