Trying to get past my Martha stage

Old 09-10-04, 05:37 AM
Shamaya
Visiting Guest
Smile Trying to get past my Martha stage

First let me thank you for helping decide what to do with the wainscotting in our basement. Now on to the next room..the master bedroom!!

I went through a "Martha stage" as my family refers to it a few years ago and painted our bedroom a pale yellow. The duvet cover is chambray blue and white plaid and I used throw pillows in blue and yellow on the bed. The furniture is a mix of pine and painted (white with chambray blue crackles). It looks nice but I'm now ready to leave my "Martha stage" and move on! The bedroom is in the basement and it measures 24' x 15' with windows at one end but the other end can be quite dark. I should mention we live in a forest so there is alot of shadowing from the trees and colours can become muddy with shade. I would like the room to feel warm and sort of "glowy" and inviting but also need to try and keep an airy feeling to it so it doesn't scream BASEMENT BEDROOM. We are open to once again painting the furniture if we have to but we're really struggling with how to make it all work. I would love to replace the duvet cover and painted furniture but that's not an option at this point so we need to work with all that. Does anyone have any ideas? Thank you all in advance!

Old 09-10-04, 11:14 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb here's my idea....

it sounds like what you've got now is very light, airy, cheery, and somewhat country/cottagey. what about just toning everything down a bit and warming it up, maybe change the style to a more sophisticated feeling? change the pale yellow to a rich chamoise/gold color. it will be richer & "glowier", but still not too dark. introduce some navy blue, maybe as a dust ruffle & throw pillow. the navy will add some weight to the room, but still go with the chambray. add some different accessories, maybe introduce some black wrought iron pieces (or curtain rods) or something. sew up some new draperies or add some rich trim to your existing ones (and add the same to the throw pillow).

then later, when you can, change out the duvet to something else (although it's pretty simple to sew a new duvet cover - 6 yards of top fabric & anything for the underside - even a sheet will work) & tone down the white furniture to a more aged color with a stain or glaze in an off-white color.

how does that sound?

Old 09-10-04, 01:05 PM
Shamaya
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up you're brilliant

Oh my gosh that sounds like exactly what I'd like to do.....change it to a more sophisticated look. I love your suggestions.....I picked up some paint chips and there is one colour that I just love but I hesitated to try it because I couldn't really visualize it with everything else...it is along the lines of a chamoise colour but a bit more peachy than gold. Do you think that could work?

Now that you've suggested what you did for the furniture I'll have to find out how to do that....so are you saying to go right over the top of what's there now to tone it down or start over from scratch?

Thank you SO much for your suggestions!

Old 09-10-04, 02:14 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
i think i'd stay more gold, maybe even toward tan, but if you prefer a hint of peach (ie an orange-ier gold), i suppose that would work, too. maybe that works better with your trim work in the room? just something richer & warmer than the pale yellow.

yes, i was thinking to just go OVER the existing finish. sort of "age" it, or distress it. i'm not sure i know exactly how to do it either! post your question in the Faux Finishing or Wood Finishing forum & one of those folks can help you with the particulars. i'm thinking you could paint on an umber color (stain or paint or glaze, etc) and then wipe some/most of it off with a rag and have it just stay in the crevices and whatnot. just to get the white more of an off-white.

just remember - if some of your furniture is pine, you won't be able to go too sophisticated, unless you paint that too. pine is pine, and it screams "casual". but you can certainly tip the scales from what you've got now to something a little dressier & polished.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: