Decorating help - boys playroom

Old 09-27-04, 06:29 PM
jenn813
Visiting Guest
Question Decorating help - boys playroom

I have a formal living room/dining room combination space that we turned into a playroom for my 2 boys (3 1/2 and 1). Now it's time to decorate.

There is an ivory couch and recliner (not a good choice with boys so I need to slipcover them). I was leaning towards terracotta for the walls but I seem to gravitate to denim slipcovers. We have a sage green rug with an ivory diamond pattern on it. Anyone have any color ideas for me? If I go with the terracotta walls, what color slip covers would you go with? If I go denim with the sage rug, would you go blue on the walls?

The room itself is a large rectangular shaped room with 4 huge windows and located immediately off the large open foyer that is painted a taupe color.

I would like the end result to be comfortable for kids and adults. I am hoping that even though the toys will be everywhere, that adults can sit on one side and feel like they are in a comfortable adult space but still watch the kids play on their side.

I am also struggling on wall coverings. Do I go kids stuff? adult? 1/2 and 1/2

Old 09-28-04, 10:25 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
since this area isn't closed off with a door, but rather open to your foyer and seen immediately when someone enters, i'd keep it on the "adult" side. (i'm assuming you have another den or family room somewhere? and maybe an eat-in kitchen??)

with a sage green rug, i don't see how blue walls will work. since the rug also has an ivory pattern in it, i'd stick with ivory walls and then you could introduce the terra cotta as slipcovers. i think the sage & terra cotta & ivory will very warm & earthy, which will be really pretty with any wood tones you have in there, and it will work nicely off the taupe foyer.

to tie the 2 colors together (sage & terra cotta), i'd find a fabric with both colors plus the ivory and use it for some sort of window treatment and/or pillows. or find an area rug or some kind of accessory with the 2 colors. otherwise, it will just look like you threw the 2 colors together.

i'd plan out some good storage solutions for all their toys that will be visually pleasing to you & easy for you (and THEM) to put things away in. maybe some wooden shelving units with wicker baskets on the shelves, wicker or wooden toyboxes, etc.

the kids will be happy just having the space to play & having all their toys out & available. personally, i wouldn't go crazy decorating with a kid theme, and making your home look like a daycare, but that's me. i'd save that for their bedrooms. i guarantee you they will not notice that you DIDN'T paint the walls bright colors with dinasaur appliques on them! they'll just have fun playing there!

Old 09-28-04, 04:58 PM
jenn813
Visiting Guest
Thanks so much Annette! I actually have done alot of thinking over the past 24 hours and I am heading toward the gold family with denim (slipcovers), red (??) and sage accents. I can't do much about the rug (really expensive purchase about 6 months ago) so I am just going to try to bring in a little bit of the color. I have walls now that are almost an ivory and was looking for a bit of punch on the walls.

Thanks again for the help.

Jenn

Old 09-29-04, 06:24 AM
so, the sage rug is just an AREA rug? not wall to wall carpeting? are there hardwoods under the rug?

Old 09-29-04, 12:01 PM
jenn813
Visiting Guest
yes, it's a large area rug (light sage with small ivory diamond pattern) There is a hardwood border around the entire rug. The room itself is 10x22 with two white columns that originally "separated" the two rooms. I am still looking at the gold, but also thinking towards the sage family for the walls, (as you suggested) and keeping the ivory couches. Then getting some color with pillows, etc. I am just not sure the slipcovers are practical with two small boys jumping around on them all day.

Can you tell I am really not sure what I want to do??

Any and all suggestions are appreciated.

Old 09-29-04, 12:12 PM
so, it's hardwood floor with a sage & ivory area rug. if plain ivory on the walls is too boring for you, what about a 2-tone faux technique (i know a really easy-to-do one!) using the sage & ivory? that would be really pretty with everything. then i'd bring in the terra cotta as pillows & accessories.

slipcovers are very practical, as long as they're truly washable. and actually, if you like your ivory sofas, get ivory slipcovers. they say they're actually the best (white, actually) because you can bleach them. could you go white-white? (you said your columns were white...)

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: