Advice on sink replacement

Old 10-03-04, 11:00 AM
brown_eyed_girl
Visiting Guest
Advice on sink replacement

I will be replacing my stainless steel sink, soon. I am interested in a black cast iron replacement, but I'm not sure about its durability. I would like it to look nice for a long time. Should I try a new black sink (to match my black tile counters), or should I stick with old reliable stainless? Does anyone have a suggestion?

Thanks

Old 10-04-04, 10:34 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
are your appliance white or black? or stainless?

and what's the style of the room? sleek hi-tech contemporary, old country charming.....?

i've never had anything except stainless. it's super easy to clean & practically maintenance free except for the occasional scrubbing with cleanser (as you know). everyone i know who's had a porcelain sink has complained about it - either chipping or staining.

although the high-end kitchens always show everything BUT stainless, i personally don't see a stainless sink as cheap. to me, they're practical & worry free.

Old 10-05-04, 01:05 PM
bigpoppax2
Visiting Guest
I'll weigh in a bit here. Our kitchen is all wood, stained cherry. The walls are wood the ceiling is wood (coffered) and the counters are black 6" tile trimmed in wood. Our appliances are all black. The floor is black and white tile. Our house was built in the thirties so it's not contemporary anywhere. Our kitchen is however, fairly decorative with all of the wood.

She really wants to do a black sink. I don't want her to get the one she's got her eye on, because it's black porcelain over cast iron and I'm afraid it will show scratches and be very prone to chipping. One dropped cast iron skillet and there you go. (that and it's like 380 bucks)

Slowes has a black sink that is made out of some kind of solid surface (not shiny). It's almost a corian type product but it seems more durable. It guaranteed not to stain, crack, chip, and it's heat resistant to like 500 degrees. It's about 200 bucks and it's black like she wanted.

The only strike against it is, it's not shiny. I like it; she's not too crazy about it.

(Oh, I'm the hubby by the way)

Old 10-05-04, 01:11 PM
if the counters are shiny black tiles, a non-shiny black sink will look scuffed or dirty or something...... is the grout on the counters white? is white just out of the question or might it be alright with the white in the floors & possibly white grout?

i still say stainless is the way to go. you've probably got lots of stainless accents here & there (on appliances & whatnot...) the stainless won't be as glaring as the white, but more practical than the black.

Old 10-06-04, 06:30 AM
bigpoppax2
Visiting Guest
Actually there are no stainless accents on our appliances. They are all black. The tiles on the counters are not a shiny tile, it's more of a matte finish and the grout is black.

White is out of the question, we would do stainless again before we'd do white. The stainless we have doesn't look out of place. She just thought the black would look like it went better.

Old 10-06-04, 06:43 AM
i see. well, then the solid-surface black matte one sounds like it would meet all your needs, doesn't it?

you already know what a new stainless one will look like. so maybe you get something to sort of temporarily "paint" your current stainless one black. (maybe tempera paint or something that would be easily washed off) then you could visualize what the actual black one will look like, before committing to it.

Old 10-06-04, 12:39 PM
bigpoppax2
Visiting Guest
Excellent idea, I'm sure my wife will like that thought. We were going to make sure that Slowes would take back an ordered sink just in case we get it home and she doesn't like it.

Her stiff with the matte black sink is the choice of faucet. She's worried that the shiny decorative one she has picked out will look funny with the matte finish on the sink. I'm not real good at visualizing things, I told her to buy a few of them that she likes and see what looks good at home then take back what we don't need.

Thanks a bunch for your replies,
Joe

Old 10-09-04, 08:59 PM
T
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Stainless steel

I have lived in many homes in my 55 years and stainless steel sinks (at least 8" deep and insulated) are my favorite. Brushed stainless is best and you can get brushed pewter faucets to compliment.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: