another kitchen color question

Old 10-05-04, 12:11 PM
Millipede
Visiting Guest
another kitchen color question

I'm making plans to redecorate my kitchen next spring and need some color advice. It's a small kitchen, not eat-in.

* The cabinets are wood and I'll be painting them. I have beautiful knobs with pressed flowers and chrome rims. I need to replace the brass hinges with chrome to match.
* The counters are currently wood laminate, which I plan to replace with black granite or Corian. The sink is stainless, though I'd like to replace it with granite or Corian if it fits my budget.
* I recently made a decoupage backsplash with colorful pictures and a black border. Some of the wall does show around the backsplash.
* All the appliances are white.
* The curtains are a very colorful design on a black background.

I've been leaning towards white cabinets and walls, so the colorful stuff shows up. Or a very pale cream, since pure white can be too stark. But I'd love some input!

- Millipede

Old 10-05-04, 12:42 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
if you're wanting the focus to be on the backsplash & curtains, then white walls & cabinets will certainly do that. but i think you'll wish you had at least some color on the walls, to contrast with the white cabinets. i think i'd pick my favorite color out from the backsplash & curtains and paint the walls in that color - just keep it simple, so the walls don't overpower those other things, or fight for attention with them.

but if you truly want a mostly black & white kitchen, with the only color splashes being in the curtains & backsplash, then go for it! you can always use splashes of color in an area rug or accessories, etc.

but i don't think i'd like cream walls with white cabinets & white appliances. either go all white or a color plus white. don't think of white as "stark", think of it as "fresh & clean". with the black & chrome, white would be much better than cream.

Old 10-06-04, 07:15 AM
Millipede
Visiting Guest
"use splashes of color in an area rug or accessories, etc.
but i don't think i'd like cream walls with white cabinets & white appliances."

Good points! I think I'll be sticking with white then. I love the suggestion of adding more color with accesories.

Thanx, Annette!

- Millipede

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: