3 rooms in 1

Old 10-12-04, 08:54 AM
Sleepless
Visiting Guest
3 rooms in 1

Hi,

I want to paint my house, but not sure what to do because of it's layout.

I'll describe to you the layout and furnishings and hopefully this will help with some ideas.

As you walk into the house directly on your left is my closet and in front of you to your right is the stairs to go upstairs, which you can see to the top of the stairs. Take about 4 steps and you're in the dinningroom. It has tile that looks like marble flooring. It has shades of grey and orange. On your right you have the railings for the stairs and the door for the basement. I have a wood dinningroom table and hutch that was giving to us from my mother in law. It's not dark like cherry wood is, but it's not light like ash or pin.. it's in the middle. Dinningroom is more in a rectangluar shape. Straight ahead is the livingroom. It in a rectangular shape, with multi-coloured carpet. Specs of grey, tan, brown ect.. I have a leather couch and loveseat (beige) with off white/cream lamps and a light wood TV unit, my coffe and end table have a glass top with greyish/silver metal frame. Once i have more money the only things that will be staying in the livingroom will be the couches and lamps. The rest will be replaced with dark wood. (coffee, end tables and tv unit)
My kitchen is also off the dinningroom, however it's small. Same flooring as the dinningroom and has a backsplash from the previous owners that match the flooring so i'd like to keep that up. It's more of a square shape.
The only lighting I get is from the sliding patio doors in livingroom (morning to afternoon sun) and from the kitchen window i get the late evening sun.

What colour(s) should I go with and where do i stop when it comes to the stairs? Since you can see the wall that goes upstairs through the railings and when you walk in? Would it look odd to just stop painting at the bottom of the stairs?

Thanks for your help

Sleepless

Old 10-12-04, 10:24 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
need more info

do you like color? what colors do you like? what kind of mood do you want to create? until we know these things, we can't help you. so far, except for the orange in your floor, none of your furnishings you've mentioned have any color to them at all (ie gray, beige, tan, brown, offwhite, cream, medium wood, glass, metal, etc). are you wanting a monochromatic/neutral home? or are you just saving all the color for the walls?

one thing i CAN tell you is that you can't stop paint color smack in the middle of an area of wall. you must wait for a natural breaking point, such as an inside or outside corner.

Old 10-12-04, 04:05 PM
Sleepless
Visiting Guest
Question

That's where I don't know because I like the warm colours, yet I like the cool ones as well and can see myself living in either or. I want the house to feel lived in, comfy and welcoming. I want to draw the colour in with accents such as couch cushions, curtains, flowers, a rug under the dinningroom table ect.. and some colour on the wall. I wouldn't go as bold as red, but I do like colour. I'm sure down the road the couch and loveseat will change to one with colour, but that won't be until we build a home.

So I would have to paint going up along the stairs and then because the wall at the top of the stairs leads into the upstairs hallway i'd have to paint that too?
Would I be able to get away with just not painting my front enterance? Since there's an outside corner wall that could act as my ending point.

Sleepless

Old 10-13-04, 06:46 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
at this point, i simply cannot help you with colors. no one can. YOU need to decide on a color scheme that YOU like, that makes you feel good to be in day in & day out, and that you can work with by finding furnishings that will work with those colors. like i always tell people, don't just pull a color out of thin air & paint with it. find something for inspiration FIRST, like an area rug, or drapery fabric, or throw pillows, or a piece of artwork that will be a focal point, etc and pull a color from that/those to paint with. then build everything from there.

yes, it sounds like whatever color your entry is will have to carry on up the stairs & down the hallway - at least that particular wall. you can only change colors at corners.

Old 10-13-04, 07:05 AM
Sleepless
Visiting Guest
We really don't have anything in the house that I can draw from. No area rug, no paintings. Like I said, i don't plan on keeping most of the furnishings i have and will be buying new furnishings a bit at a time. So if i had to pick something i'd have to say I want something that will go with my leather couch and loveseat. More in the earth tone colours I suppose, nothing way out there, but I don't want all beige either. I suppose i'll add the splash of colour through draperies, pillows and the area rug once we get one. I don't want anything too dark because the house isn't big and we don't get much light.

This is harder than I thought.

Sleepless

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: