New & Need help with blue kitchen

Old 02-02-05, 03:07 PM
jodygsb
Visiting Guest
New & Need help with blue kitchen

Help - we have an older house and must live with the current kitchen for at least a year - guess what, it's vivid blue!!!

Any suggestions as far as a coordinating paint color would be helpful.

Old 02-02-05, 05:20 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Hi! and Welcome to the forums!

what's blue? the floor? counters? cabinets? walls?

generally, yellow and blue are very fresh & pretty together (think french country, sunflowers, etc)

depending on the shade of blue, there are gorgeous blue & white toiles you could use (wallpaper and/or fabrics)

blue, yellow & red are a classic triad color scheme found in lots of fabrics.

blue, kelly green & yellow are pretty.

but instead of trying to "think up" a color scheme from thin air, find something to work around, like an area rug or chair pads or placemats or a wallpaper border or wall art or even dish towels. anything that can give you a place to start. when you find the "thing", pull colors from it to use for wall or cabinet paint & you'll have an instant color scheme.

Old 02-02-05, 08:40 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I'm familiar with that color. I assume the house was built in the 70's? There were three main kitchen colors then - blue, yellow ("harvest gold") and orange. We were looking at one house that had the "blue" in question in the bathroom. It's a somewhat turquoise color and nothing really matches. You might be able to paint the cabinet doors and cover the countertop with new laminent or tile. I've also found a product that simulates stone and goes over formica.called Roccia.

http://www.fauxcentre.com/fc/products.htm

You just spread it on in layers of color... no idea how hard it is to do but it doesn't seem to be something that would go well the first try without practice.

Fortunatly for us, after the 10th house with aweful formica we found one with corian and new bathrooms.

(Did I mention that the blue bathroom house had a green kitchen and a second yellow bathroom with SIX different clashing patterns of tile throughout?)

Old 02-03-05, 06:56 AM
Okie
Visiting Guest
Smile Blue and White Kitchen

I live in an older mobile home where everything is done is dark paneling. I wanted a change so I painted the paneling and the kitchen cabinets. I used a light blue and white for the entire room. The cabinets were in the blue and the walls and trim around the cabinets was in white. I added a white/blue tile and pretty blue and white curtains. You cannot imagine how pretty it is. Also, I am using a little red in the decor on the walls which gives it an extra pizzazzzzzz.

Old 02-04-05, 02:32 PM
jodygsb
Visiting Guest
Thanks to you all..you're right, jconstantino....vivid blue formica counter-top....I've thought yellow (a soft buttery) and throw rugs,but the floor is so busy - I didn't think about the cupboards....Maybe trimming out with quarter-round in blue.....

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: