Need a 2nd opinion on art placement

Old 02-23-05, 05:46 AM
geewiz
Visiting Guest
Lightbulb Need a 2nd opinion on art placement

Hi Annette,
First of all, thanks so much for your previous help concerning our choice of draperies....we followed your suggestion for black drapes to go with our red sofa and loveseat and abstract area rugs, and the room is coming together very nicely. Now I need yet another opinion concerning artwork placement.
We want to hang pictures behind our loveseat, and that wall is broken up by a recessed bookshelf in the middle. I've decided to go with Georgia O'Keeffe flower prints, since I thought they might give the room balance and not compete with the busy geometric rugs. Would it be a decorating faux pas to use prints of different sizes, since I'm having trouble finding prints I like that are the exact same size? (The wall on the right side of the bookcase is just slightly bigger than the left side). Alternatively, would it be acceptable to use a single print on one side and two prints on the other, hung one underneath the other? Any advice you can give will be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Betsy (geewiz)

Old 02-23-05, 07:10 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
if the 2 areas are different sizes, then using 2 different sized pieces is okay, as long as they're proportioned okay.

also, you can use 1 print on one side, and 2 (or 3 or 4) on the other, as long as they are visually balanced. for example, the 2 or 3 or 4 smaller ones you use on one side should add up to equal the one large one you've used on the other side.

and preferably, each side's grouping should be similar in shape . like if the large one on the left is tall & skinny in shape, then you should hang the 2 or 3 small ones on the right vertically (one on top of the other) so that as a grouping, they are similar in shape to the one on the other side. or if the large one is just a rectangle, then use 2 on the right that are each half as big. or if you've got 4, each should be 1/4 as big, and hang them in a grid pattern that ends up a similar shape & size as the large one.

hope that makes sense.

Old 02-23-05, 06:22 PM
geewiz
Visiting Guest
Yes, that makes perfect sense....thank you! I'll do the math and try to come up with a combination that works the way you described. Meanwhile, I also have a neat idea for our foyer and entranceway with regard to displaying pictures: We plan sometime in the near future of either painting our foyer area the same color (subtle yellow) as the living room or possibly going with, say, a barn red color, and afterward my idea is this: I picked up a wrought iron and somewhat scrolly vertical plate rack which I plan to use to display either 4 similar pictures or 4 pictures with a common theme. It's a nice alternative, I think, to making four holes in the wall to hang pictures - instead you can just secure the plate rack at the top and position the 4 paintings in the grooves that were intended for plates. I just thought I would share this idea, because it seems like something they might do on HGTV and I was kind of proud of my innovation.....

Betsy

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: