painting assistance

Old 02-28-05, 10:45 AM
DUNDAY
Visiting Guest
painting assistance

ok I was hoping to get a better response from my last question but maybe i was not clear enough. My dinning room is currently all whiteand has dark pargue flooring . I was want to paint part of the wall well it is called fossil butte like a tuscany green . Should I put this color on the top or bottom of the wall. If so how far from ceiling should I go . the wall is 93 inches long. It is a behr paint and from the picture I am using to go by the green color seems to go well the dark furniture and dark flooring. I did not want to paint the whole wall that color because I want to have some brightness/ the other color I wanted to use for the rest of the wall and trim is cottage white. Again any suggestions would be helpful and if more info is needed just let me know . Thanks

Old 02-28-05, 11:31 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
dining rooms can be a little more dramatic than other rooms because the time spent in them is shorter, so feel free to put the darker color on top, if you want it cozier & more dramatic. if you want to keep it lighter, put it on bottom. it doesn't matter that the floor is dark, you can still have the darker color on bottom.

normally, when using 2 different colors on an 8 foot tall wall, you divide them by painting one color on the top 5 feet, and the other on the lower 3 feet. this can be adjusted to work better for whatever architectural elements you have. you want that line to hit your windows (if any) at an attractive point, so for example, you wouldn't want the line to go under your window and leave a skinny little 1-inch stripe of the top color going under the window, so you'd adjust the line up a bit so that it runs into the sill or higher up into the sie of the window frame. or if you have an extremely wide wallpaper border that you're using at the dividing point, you can put it a bit higher or lower as needed.

you just don't want to divide the room into equal halves. it's supposed to mimic the look of a chair rail, which was originally meant to protect the wall from the backs of chairs, so 3' up is about right, give or take 6" or so.

were you planning on using a wooden chair rail or a border to separate the 2 colors??

hope that helps.

P.S. please don't duplicate your questions in the same topic, or even in different topics. as soon as we can, we'll get to it & answer it. and please be patient, as we're all volunteers with full time jobs. thanks.

Last edited by Annette; 02-28-05 at 12:29 PM.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: