How to utilize fabrics...

Old 03-03-05, 03:51 PM
T
The_New_Mrs._G
Visiting Guest
How to utilize fabrics...

Hey all,

I have chosen the fabrics that I would like to use in the house. I have three rooms to decorate : living room, which connects to dining room, which connects to kitchen.

Would you mind taking a look at the fabrics and giving me your opinion of which fabrics should be used as primary fabrics and which should be accents? Also, what should I do with each of the fabrics? Pillows, window treatments, table runner, etc...?

Lastly, what "style" are all of these fabrics? I keep thinking French Country, but I'm not sure if that's right.

Thanks! You can see the fabrics at http://web.ics.purdue.edu/~lburke/fabric

Sponsored Links
Old 03-04-05, 07:12 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
wow.........my first impression is that almost none of those fabrics go together! sorry!! are they all just "possibilities" or do you really love them all & think they work together? maybe it's the way they're appearing on my screen.....maybe the colors are skewed. but even if that's the case, the prints/patterns themselves don't seem to coordinate on some of them. and the scale is clashing on many of them. #7 looks lavendar!? do #1 and #4 have black in them? is #11 pink?

if you lose #s 1,11,4,7, and 13, you might be able to work with the ones that are left.

9 and 5 look good together.

10 could work with 6 or 3, but not both.

9 seems awfully yellow to go with the rest which seem really tan....

what sort of look or general color scheme/theme/mood were you wanting to create? do you have any existing pieces you'll be working with/around?

Old 03-04-05, 07:57 AM
T
The_New_Mrs._G
Visiting Guest
Fabric Clarification

It's not that I've bought these fabrics or that I'm planning to use them all.

Basically, I came across these patterns and colors, and I'm really fond of them. I'm not sure what sort of "style" they are. My problem is that I know what I like, and I have a dream of what my house would look like, but I don't know what the style is. I think my dream style is a mish-mash of the French Country, English Country, and British Colonial styles...

Any suggestions on how to successfully mix those styles? Or am I off in la-la land?

Thanks for any help.

P.S. THanks for moving my post, Annette, I didn't even know there was a "Chats" section. I got my question answered, and I can see the replies now.

Old 03-04-05, 08:34 AM
i wouldn't worry about labeling your style so much as keeping focused on the feeling you're wanting to create.

instead of picking out a bunch of fabrics & then trying to come up with a use for them, focus on one thing & build out from there. easiest would probably be to start with the sofa, since it's the largest piece in the main room. do you want a big plaid sofa? or would you rather the sofa be solid and then have a print on the chair? decide things like that. then think on toward the draperies. and wall color. when that room's done, move into the next one, and plan everything for in there. as you do that next room, you may find that you'll have to go back & tweak something in the first room, but that's the great thing with planning ahead - you can easily do that. if you're doing these 3 rooms from scratch & getting all new furniture, it's a big job - maybe bigger than i can help with this way. there are just so many variables when you get into decorating, it can be overwhelming enough in person, and seemingly impossible over the internet!! so much depends on the thickness/weight/texture of fabrics and being able to see the exact colors, and how they look in different light, etc etc etc.

i think some of the fabrics you've chosen can work together just fine. if you want to find some more & ask about them working with these fabrics, and on specific pieces, feel free. maybe get some more solid greens to mix in there. (it's great the way you've taken pictures of them!) i'll (we'll) try to help the best we can!

Old 03-05-05, 09:43 PM
T
The_New_Mrs._G
Visiting Guest
Cheap Focal Point?

Hey Annette,

We already have a sofa and chairs, but they are all mis-matched. I plan to make custom slip-covers for them, but I would like the focal point to be on something other than the furniture...maybe a rug, an accent wall, or a large piece of artwork?

What do you think works the best as a focal point, if it's not furniture? Or should we start shopping for a couch as our focal point?

Thanks!

Old 03-07-05, 09:53 AM
if your slipcovers will just be a solid fabric, or something not terribly bold and/or eyecatching, then the focus will be more on something else: either a large piece of artwork or area rug or entertainment center - whatever you want, if you don't have a fireplace. it just all needs to flow nicely together & coordinate. with styles that are more "country" there are a lot more patterns going on at the same time, versus contemporary styles that are mostly solids with one "wow" thing as the focus.