Help...need opinions regarding molding...please.

Old 04-30-05, 02:54 PM
gregorysgirl
Visiting Guest
Help...need opinions regarding molding...please.

I have a dilemma. We put new molding/casing/baseboards ( not sure which term to use)around doors,windows,floors in our living room, kitchen, utility room and hallway. This was with the plan that we were putting our house ( built in 1954) up for sale. Because we were selling, we painted the walls in neutral colors ( whites,tans) and the new molding in white.Alas, our plans changed and we are staying here. The problem is that I am not a neutral color gal. We have been painting all of the main rooms ( living room, kitchen, utility room and hallway)in colors that our more "us". My dilemma is this...the white molding is fine with the color of each room except for the hallway. We painted the hallway Behr-Maple Leaf ( it's a deep orangey -red). I would much prefer wood stained trim with it. If I were to change the molding/casing/baseboards from white to stained wood, I would want to do it in at least the main rooms ( living room, kitchen, utility room and hallway ). So, here are my questions:1. Should all of the rooms in the house have the same molding style/color? ( I thought about leaving two bathrooms and three bedrooms with the white trim). 2.Would walls with color along with wood stained trim look strange with white doors?
Any advice/pointers would be much appreciated!
Thanks in advance!

Old 05-01-05, 07:55 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Moved to decorating forum.

Old 05-01-05, 10:14 PM
K
Originally Posted by gregorysgirl
Should all of the rooms in the house have the same molding style/color?
Tiny open plan house, sure. Otherwise, boring. Constraining too, as you know.
Originally Posted by gregorysgirl
Would walls with color along with wood stained trim look strange with white doors?
I think it would look unusual... and maybe look good as well. You know sometimes a house looks sharp boasting a shiney red front door. Your white interior doors would jump out of the colour and woodwork the same way. They'd have to be attractive doors for this to work, I think.

Old 05-02-05, 06:10 AM
of course, it's all a matter of personal preference, and therefore, you'll get opinions voting for each way here.

i've seen all the combinations you've mentioned (half the house stained, half white or allover stained trim with all white doors, etc), and they all seem out of whack & poorly planned to me. when all the woodwork & doors were the SAME. to me, that's what looks best. it flows throughout the house creating a sense of continuity, allowing you to change the colors of the walls in the rooms and still keep a sense of flow. otherwise, IMO, you've got mayhem.

but do whatever you think will look good. the fact that you're even considering a combination of paint & stain in the same house means you like it, so go for it. lots of the newer houses i've been in lately have stained trim & white doors. i think it looks awful but maybe i'm the oddball!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: